The Hill, the
Mill, and the Till Andover
350th Anniversary Celebration Quilt,
on the elevator wall on the First Floor,
across from the stairway to the Second
Andover's 350th Celebration Quilt,
"The Hill, the Mill, and the Till,"
takes its name from an old adage
describing the Town. It was designed and
made by a group of twenty local
quilters, under the direction of Joan
Ross. Over 1200 hours of talented labor
have gone into its creation during the
The focal point of the quilt is its
unique center medallion, designed and
appliqued by Judi Easley. She chose the
Memorial Bell Tower (1922), the
Ballardvale Mill (1835), and the
Henderson Farm (1711) to symbolize the
quilt's title, and adapted Toni Harris-Hadad's
Anniversary logo to represent the Town's
founding (1646). Coincidentally, these
dates span the four centuries of
Surrounding the center are 35
traditional pieced blocks, one for each
decade since the Town was established.
They were selected because their pattern
names say something significant about
the Town or its history. For example,
"Tea Pot" symbolizes the original
settlers' native town--Andover,
Hampshire, England--and was contributed
by the Sprat and Winkle Quilt Guild
there. The three most prominent points
in "Mariner's Compass" stand for the
Town's original parishes: North (1646),
South (1711), and West (1826). "Indian
Trails" represents the Indian Ridge
Reservation, a gift from a group of
citizens during the Town's 250th
Anniversary. For their own block, the
quilters chose "A Stitch in Time." Its
double meaning--honoring Andover's place
in history with their handwork, and
being done on time--had great appeal.
The unusual setting for the blocks
was created by Joan Ross and her son
Arnold, inspired by the designs in
Blockbuster Quilts by Margaret J. Miller
of Seattle, WA. In the background are
hundreds of pieced triangles known as
"flying geese." This very old pattern is
echoed in the beautiful quilting that
Gail Seeley designed and executed.
The label on the quilt's back
contains its key--a scaled-down "map"
showing the location of each block, its
pattern name, and the name of its maker.
Surrounding the label are small squares
of 350 different contemporary fabrics.
235 of these fabrics also appear on the
front of the quilt. The hand-painted
"sky" cloth was commissioned from
Adrienne Young in Portland, CT. Creative
Quilting in North Andover and Cranberry
Quilters in South Hamilton also supplied
some of the fabrics, at generous
The Celebration Quilt Committee is
delighted to present "The Hill, the
Mill, and the Till" to the Town of
Andover in honor of its 350th
Anniversary, and hope that the Town's
citizens enjoy viewing it as much as its
quilters enjoyed creating it.
Presented to the Town on May 11, 1996
communities, led by South Church
350th quilters' prayer for the
Town and the world.
importance of agriculture in the
location, amidst federal, state,
and local highways.
increasingly diverse ethnic and
Henderson)--saluting the children
Friends & Neighbors
Grew)--the cordial relationships
among our townspeople.
(Fran Gikow)--the Town's
economic downturns in Andover's
Park at Chestnut and Bartlett.
manufacturing firms, past and
Arrows of Peace
Native Americans in Andover's
schools, public, private,
parochial, and home.
trait of our townspeople,
regardless of ethnic heritage.
(Kay Foltz)--the Town's
form of government since its
(Pat Gall)--Andover's part in the
Salem witchcraft hysteria (1692).
(Karla Cook)--honoring all
who have died in the Town's
service, in war or in peace.
Henderson)--the Town's role in the
Stitch in Time
350th quilters, weaving past,
present, and future into our work.
economic booms in Andover's
Smith's "My Country, 'tis of Thee"
(Sprat and Winkle
Quilters)--our parent town:
Andover, Hampshire, England.
bordering towns, especially So.
(Joan Ross)--the Town's
beautiful rivers, ponds, brooks,
(Karla Cook)--the mills
in Andover's history.
(Jennie Cline)--our lovely
forests, reservations, and
(Tina Gatti)--the Town's
retail businesses, another
interpretation of "the Till."
(Annette Wright)--Andover's part
in the Civil War.
three original parishes: North
(1646), South (1711), and West
Ross)--honoring all who have
served the Town, in war or in
prominent topographical features.
Andover Street (1836), symbolizing
Seeley)--Indian Ridge Reservation,
given to the Town in 1896.
River Road, (1711), symbolzing
Crackers & Rockets
Karp)-- the 4th of July Horribles
Parade and fireworks.
Memorial Bell Tower
Easley)--on Main Street (1922),
symbolizing "the Hill."
banks, past and present.
the Town's founding (1646).
(Glenda Schaake)--the Town's aid to
escaping slaves before the Civil
Submitted for the 350th Celebration
In March 1995, Norma Gammon inserted
a small notice in the Townsman, asking
for volunteers to make a quilt to
commemorate Andover's upcoming 350th
anniversary. Shortly thereafter, a dozen
avid quilters gathered in the library,
ready to begin this exciting project.
As we talked, it became clear that
the group possessed boundless
enthusiasm, and diverse but
complementary skills. Ideas flew fast
and furiously around the table. By the
end of the evening, we had established
one thing--while we all admired
commemorative quilts with beautifully appliqued buildings and historical
events, we wanted something different
for Andover's celebration, more
representative of quilting in the last
decade of the 20th century.
Over the next few weeks, the basic
theme for our quilt emerged. It would be
contemporary with a bow to
history--traditional pieced blocks
surrounding an appliqued center, made
with the latest fabrics, set in a
non-traditional manner. The center would
represent "the hill, the mill, and the
till," as well as the 350th anniversary.
The blocks, through their pattern names,
would symbolize important aspects of
Andover's past or present.
We researched town characteristics,
events, people, and places, then
searched through dozens of quilting
books and magazines for candidate
blocks. Our final list had well over 100
patterns, all with meaningful names for
Andover. It was clear we couldn't use
them all! We toyed with the idea of one
for each year, but quickly came to our
senses and settled for one per decade.
In two hilarious marathon sessions, we
struggled to reduce the list to 35,
finally reaching a consensus on the best
combinations of name and design. In the
end, Fran Gikow and Joan Ross custom
designed two of the blocks, when no
acceptable patterns could be found.
During a whirlwind tour of local
quilt shops and shows, we discovered
just the right fabrics at Creative
Quilting in North Andover, and Cranberry
Quilters in South Hamilton. We also
bought some gorgeous hand-painted
material from Adrian Young in Portland,
Everyone in the group contributed one
or more blocks: Jennie Cline, Karla
Cook, Carole DeStefano, Judi Easley, Kay
Foltz, Pat Gall, Norma Gammon, Tina
Gatti, Fran Gikow, Connie Grew, Jan
Henderson, Marianne Karp, Mary McCarthy,
Diane Murphy, Laura Robinson, Joan Ross,
Gail Seely, Glenda Shaake, Marta Totten,
and Annette Wright. In addition,
quilters in Andover, Hamphsire, England,
designed and pieced the block
representing our founders' "home town."
Judi Easley designed and appliqued
the quilt's unique center. She chose the
bell tower at Phillips Academy (1922),
the Ballardvale mill (1835), and the
Henderson farm (1711), to symbolize
"hill, mill, and till," and the 350th
logo to represent the town's founding
(1646). Coincidentally, these dates span
the four centuries of Andover's
Joan Ross and her son Arnold designed
the quilt's unusual "wheel and path"
setting, inspired by Margaret Miller's
Blockbuster Quilts. Diane Murphy and Jan
Henderson added the wonderful
embroidery. Gail Seeley quilted it
beautifully, using her own designs.
The quilt will be presented to the
Town at the Anniversary banquet in May,
1996, after which it will be permanently
hung in Memorial Library. In September,
samples of each quilter's own work will
also be on display there.
1 Starr Avenue East
191 Andover St.
21 Sheridan Rd