Town of Andover, Massachusetts
Andover was settled around 1636 as
Cochichewick. It was renamed Andover and
incorporated in 1646. In 1709, it was
separated into two parishes, Andover and
North Andover. In 1855, these became two
separate towns. For more extensive
information on the history of Andover,
visit Memorial Hall Library or the
Andover Historical Society.
Location & Size
Andover is located 20 miles north of
Boston, at the intersection of Routes 93
and 495, in the heart of the Merrimack
Valley. It measures 32 square miles.
Andover is part of the
Essex National Heritage Area.
33,201 as of
Andover's town government consists of a
five-member Board of Selectmen and a
six-member School Committee. The Town
Manager is appointed by the Board of
Selectmen. Open town meetings are held
at least annually. For more information
on Andover town government, visit the
Andover home page.
Andover is a suburban/rural town with a
thriving downtown retail/service
district. There is a strong emphasis on
education, community service, library
services, conservation, and tradition.