About the Dust Bowl
Here are some books at Memorial Hall Library related to the topics covered in The Worst Hard Time:
- American Exodus: the Dust Bowl Migration and Okie Culture in California by James N. Gregory - 304.8794 Gre
- Dust Bowl Diary by Ann Marie Low - 978.032 Low
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - Fic (Also available on audio book and DVD)
- The Dust Bowl: Men, Dirt, and Depression - 978.03 Bon
- On the Dirty Plate Trail: Remembering the Dust Bowl Refugee Camps by Sanora Babb - 978.032 Bab
- Dust Bowl: the Southern Plains in the 1930s by Donald Worster - 978.032 Wor
- Americans View Their Dust Bowl Experience - 978.03 Ame
- Dust Bowl Migrants in the American Imagination by Charles J. Shindo - 978.032 Shi
- The biography of wheat by Jennifer Lackey - J 633.11 Lac
- The journal of C.J. Jackson: a Dust Bowl Migrant by William Durbin - Fic J
- Survival in the Storm: the Dust Bowl Diary of Grace Edwards by Katelan Janke - Fic J
- Driven from the Land: the Story of the Dust Bowl by Milton Meltzer - J 978 Mel
- Children of the Dust Days by Karen Mueller Coombs - J 978 Coo
- Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse - Fic J, PB/J
- Dust for Dinner by Ann Turner - JE/Easy Reader
- Children of the Dust Bowl: the True Story of the School at Weedpatch Camp by Jerry Stanley - J 371.96 Sta
- Driven from the Land: the Story of the Dust Bowl by Milton Meltzer - 978.03 Mel / Teen
- The Dust Bowl by Therese and Gina DeAngelis - 978.03 DeA / Teen
- The 1930s by Petra Press - 973.91 Pre / Teen
- Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse - Teen Fiction (Also available on audio book)
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - Teen Fiction
- Surviving the Dust Bowl - DVD 978.032 Sur
- The Grapes of Wrath - DVD GRA/Feature
- The Plow that Broke the Plains / The River - DVD 978.032 Plo
Here are some web sites with photographs and information about the Dust Bowl:
- American Memory - Photographs of the Dust Bowl from the Library of Congress’, “America from the Great Depression to World War II” project
- Drought in the Dust Bowl years - An overview of drought and the Dust Bowl from University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s National Drought Mitigation Center
- The Dust Bowl - Photographs and history of farming in the 1930s from Wessel’s Living History Farm in York, Nebraska. Learn about farming in the 1930s through recordings of families who experienced it. Quicktime Player needed for audio, but transcripts are available.
- Dust Bowl History — Links to collections of photos from the Dust Bowl era, with an emphasis on Kansas.
- The Dust Bowl - Documents, song lyrics, and photographic collages featuring the Dust Bowl from the Library of Congress.
- Surviving the Dust Bowl — PBS web site for the American Experience documentary, including a timeline.
- 20th Century Drought - Information about droughts and the Dust Bowl from the National Climatic Data Center.
- Voices from the Dust Bowl — An online collection from the Library of Congress, focusing primarily on migrant farm workers in California during 1940-41.
- Dust Bowl Oral History Project - Interviews with survivors of Black Sunday, April 14, 1935, Dodge City, Kansas.
- NASA Explains Dust Bowl Drought - An article from NASA scientists explaining the Dust Bowl drought.
- Woody Guthrie — Dust Bowl Ballads - Information about Guthrie’s 1940 album that paid tribute to the survivors of the Dust Bowl.
- Dust Bowl Days Lesson Plan - A lesson plan about the 1930s, the Great Depression, and the Dust Bowl from the National Endowment for the Humanities.