Andover - Early History

From Andover Answers

Jump to: navigation, search

The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick. Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, England, which had been the home of many settlers.

A committee was appointed by the General Court on June 1, 1652, to lay out the bounds between Andover and Cambridge.

  • The bounds between Andover and Billerica were established May 26, 1658.
  • The bounds between Andover and Wills Hill were established May 9, 1678.
  • June 20, 1728, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Middleton.
  • April 17, 1847, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Lawrence.
  • April 7, 1855, a part of Andover was established as North Andover.
  • February 7, 1879, a part of Andover was annexed to Lawrence.
  • The bounds between Andover and Tewksbury were established May 21, 1903.
  • The bounds between Andover and North Reading were established April 22, 1904.


Vital records for Andover from 1647-1905 on available at the library on microfiche. Contents of the fiche are listed below.

...Andover Vital Records, 1647-1905.... click to enlarge
...Andover Vital Records, 1647-1905.... click to enlarge


See



--Eleanor 15:15, February 21, 2008 (EST)
--Kim 10:38, May 10, 2013 (EDT)

back to Main Page

Personal tools