Andover - Tree City
From Andover Answers
On April 24, 2000, in a ceremony at the Heritage State Park in Lynn, Andover was awarded Tree City USA status by the Department of Environmental Management Urban Forestry Division. The status is awarded on an annual basis. Andover has kept its commitment to the policies and has received the award each year since 2000.
To have Tree City status the municipality must
- have a Tree Department
- have an annual forestry working plan
- spend at least $2 per citizen on tree maintenance
- observe Arbor Day
- "Andover Celebrates Arbor Day, Gets Tree City USA Status" (Letter to the Editor) Andover Townsman, May 4, 2000, page 9.
- "'Tree City' may soon have more stumps: To solve power outages, power company looks to chop down trees," Andover Townsman, November 3, 2005.
- "Timber! National Grid may cut down hundreds of trees in Andover," Eagle Tribune, December 4, 2005, p. A1.
- "Stump City, USA? Power failures spur electric company to eye cutting down 638 trees in town," Andover Townsman, December 8, 2005, p. 1.
- Tree City USA