Andover Author - Daniel Dennett
From Andover Answers
Well known philosopher of the mind Daniel Dennett, chairman of the Tufts University Department of Philosophy Center for Cognitive Studies and author of several books on the subject lived in Andover.
- Brainstorms : Philosophical Essays on Mind and Psychology contains an essay titled "Where am I" a science fiction account of a thought experiment in which he imagined his brain surgially removed from his body. (1978)
- Elbow Room : the Varieties of Free Will Worth Wanting (1984)
- In Consciousness Explained (1991)explains how the human mind works.
- Darwin's Dangerous Idea : Evolution and the Meanings of Life (1995) explains Dennet's assertion that certain things happen along the path of evolution to accesleate a species' ability to change and adapt.
- Kinds of Minds : Toward an Understanding of Consciousness (1996)
- Freedom Evolves (2003)
- Breaking the Spell (2006)
- "Tufts Philospher Films Brain-Wracking Experiment", Andover Townsman, October 29, 1981, page 12
- "His Theories on the Mind Set Intellectual World Abuss", Sunday Eagle Tribune, November 10, 1991, page 1 & page 2.
- "Author Defends Darwin", Eagle Tribune, November 1, 1995, page 9 & page 18.