Andover Historic Houses - 1924 House

From Andover Answers

Jump to: navigation, search
The Abbot Homestead, located at the corner of Andover Street and Argilla Road, was thought to have been built circa 1685. Benjamin Abbot, the first owner of the house, accused neighbor Martha Carrier, "Queen of Hell," of witchcraft after a boundary dispute. Carrier was executed in 1692. The Public Television Station program "History Detectives" examined wood borings taken from the beams of the house and determined that it was actually built between 1703 and 1708.

...The Benjamin Abbot Homestead.... click to enlarge
...The Benjamin Abbot Homestead.... click to enlarge
...The Abbot House.... click to enlarge
...The Abbot House.... click to enlarge
...The Abbot House, photo taken in 1988.... click to enlarge
...The Abbot House, photo taken in 1988.... click to enlarge
...The Abbot Homestead Narrative, Part 1.... click to enlarge
...The Abbot Homestead Narrative, Part 1.... click to enlarge
...The Abbot Homestead Narrative, Part 2.... click to enlarge
...The Abbot Homestead Narrative, Part 2.... click to enlarge


See

  • "Benjamin Abbot House is one of the Valley's Oldest," Eagle Tribune, November 13, 1988.
  • Andover Historical Building Survey - Andover Special Collection
  • Featured in the PBS series "History Detectives" (Channel 2 July 16, 2003)
  • "Who will buy historic Abbot home?", Andover Townsman, July 22, 2004.



--Eleanor 16:50, February 1, 2006 (EST)
--Kim 11:39, March 6, 2012 (EST)

back to Main Page

Personal tools