From Andover Answers
Moseley Iron Bridge at Merrimack College
The Moseley Iron Bridge is the oldest extant iron bridge in Massachusetts.
- Andover Townsman, November 12, 1998, page 5
The Friendship Bridge is located over the dry riverbed in the park adjacent to Town Offices. It commemorates signing of Sister City Agreement with Andover, England on June 6, 2000.
Joseph A. Horan Bataan & Corregidor Memorial Bridge
The Joseph A. Horan Bataan & Corregidor Memorial Bridged is on Lowell Street overpass over I-93. It is named in honor of Joe Horan, a survivor of Bataan Death March, who was awarded Silver Star. Mr. Horan died on August 2001.
- Andover Townsman, October 24, 2002
- Eagle Tribune, July 25, 2002, page 1
Korean War Veterans Memorial Bridge
The Korean War Veterans Memorial Bridge is on the Stevens Street overpass of the Shawsheen River. It was dedicated on November 11, 1995.
Stone Arch Bridge
The Stone Arch Bridge at the intersection of Essex Street and Shawsheen Road, built in the 1820, connected the mill district and the west bank of the Shawsheen River. Originally only 15 feet wide. The stones were not set in mortar. In 1920 the bridge was widened 15 feet.
- The Lower Merrimack River Valley: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites R 609 Low, page 10.
Ballardvale Mill Bridge 200 feet from the Ballardvale D Cited in 1872, making it the oldest iron truss bridge in the Merrimack Valley.
- The Lower Merrimack River Valley: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites
back to Main Page
--Eleanor 11:37, February 2, 2006 (EST)