Deer Jump Reservation
From Andover Answers
Deer Jump Reservation is the second largest AVIS (Andover Village Improvement Society) reservation, comprised of 130 acres of land bordering the Merrimack River for 2 1/2 miles. It is a glacial terminal moraine. The Pennacook Indians lived nearby on Pine Island. After 1704, Deer Jump was the site of a blockhouse that held gunpowder and the like to protect against Indian raids. Now, the area is used for cross-country skiing and hiking.
--Kim 13:47, November 25, 2013 (EST)
- "Deer Jump: A walk through area history," Andover Townsman, January 25, 1990, p. 12.
back to Main Page