From Andover Answers
Pomps Pond named for Pompey Lovejoy is a town-operated park on Abbot Street that offers swimming, boating and other activities. The pond is a natural kettle hole formed by a glacier.
In the 1920's two summer camps operated at Pomps Pond: one owned by the City Missionary of Boston and a Boy Scout Camp. In 1923 residents raised $931 to create a beach area and hire lifeguards. At the 1924 Town Meeting appropriated $2000 to maintain the beach area and to construct a bathhouse. Since then Pomp's Pond is maintained through appropriations at Town Meeting and funds collected for sticker passes.
- "Pomps Pond, A fun place to be," Andover Townsman, May 18, 1989.
- "Pomps Pond 80th Birthday", Andover Townsman, August 7, 2003, page 1.
- "Lost: 4 Feet of Pomps Pond", Andover Townsman, August 5, 2004.
- "Ironically, heat wave closes Pomps Pond; bacteria levels high," Andover Townsman, July 20, 2006, p. 1.
- "Pomps Pond: Some of us liked it more (or less) than others," Andover Townsman, August 3, 2006, p. 30.
- "Summer of 1956: Concession stand opens for business at Pomps Pond," Andover Townsman, March 8, 2007, p. 17.
- "Bridging the gap: Andover Scout's Eagle project to help future generations," Andover Townsman, July 14, 2008, p. 1.
back to Main Page