From Andover Answers
Andoverite Samuel Osgood was appointed the first Postmaster General of the new United States of America by George Washington in 1789.
Andover's first post office opened in 1794 in the Abbott Tavern. In 1795, Isaac Abbott was appointed the first postmaster. In 1858, the post office moved to the Town House, then relocated in 1895 to the Musgrove Building on Post Office Avenue.
In 1917, the post office moved to the McDonald Building on Essex Street. 15 years later the post office moved into their own new building at 71 Main Street. This remained that post office for over 50 years.
A new postal facility opened on January 17, 1989 on Stevens Street. The old building on Main Street, vintage 1936, had served the town for 52 years. Tony Mendoza was postmaster at the time. Nicolas Francescucci was postmaster in 2004.
A substation opened September 1990 in the Old Town House at 20 Main Street. Other substations are Shawsheen Village Station, 360 North Main Street and Ballardvale Station, 187 Andover Street.
Directions: Rt. 28 (Main Street) going towards Lawrence from the Memorial Hall Library, take a left at the second set of lights (before McDonalds). The post office is on the second block on the left.
The direct telephone number for the Post Office on Stevens Street is 978-475-9436.
- "New Andover post office on Stevens St. ready by 1988," Eagle Tribune, August 4, 1987, page B3.
- Andover Townsman, January 12, 1989.
- Andover Townsman, January 19, 1989.
- "She's a leader", The Eagle Tribune, December 9, 2005.
- "Postmaster put on emergency paid leave", The Eagle Tribune, July 14, 2007.
- "Andover postmaster temporarily reassigned", The Andover Townsman, August 9, 2007.
- "'Dollar deal' ends for post office space," Andover Townsman, May 4, 2010, p. 3.
- You've Got Mail: From Andoverite as First Postmaster General to Today. Andover Townsman January 5, 2012, p.8.
back to Main Page