From Andover Answers
Abbot Female Academy, the first school dedicated to the the higher education of girls in the United States, was incorporated on February 26, 1829 in Andover, Massachusetts. Sarah Abbot was the founder of the school later known as Abbot Academy. It continued as a school for girls only until 1973 when it merged with Philips Academy.
- Abbot Academy, Andover Massachusetts by Abbot Academy, Andover Room R 376.9 Abb (pamphlet box 4)
- Academy Sketches 1892 - 1912 by Katharine Roxanna Kelsey, Andover Room R 376.9 Kel
- Journal of and Abbot Academy Girl 1874 - 1876 by Harriet Chapell Newcomb, Andover Room R 376.9 New
- A Singular School: Abbot Academy, 1828 - 1973 by Susan McIntosh Lloyd, Andover Room R 376.9 Llo
- Downs, Annie Sawyer. "Abbot Academy." New England Magazine February 1886, page 136 - 151
- "Abbot Academy at Andover, Massachusetts"
- Andover Room File - Private Schools
--Eleanor 16:11, February 13, 2008 (EST)
back to Main Page