From Andover Answers
- Born September 10,1786 - Died November 1868
- Lived in the Issac Abbott Tavern on Elm Street and later at 112 Main Street.
- Held many town offices, was a State Representative and Senator and a U.S. Representative (Whig) from 1843-1849
- He was the first president of the Andover Institution of Savings.
- Founder of the Boston and Portland Railroad (later the Boston & Maine Railroad).
- A portrait of Amos Abbot painted by Thomas Buchanan Read was presented to the Memorial Hall Library Board of Trustees in December 1982 when Mr. Abott was approximately fifty-five years old.
- [ http://www.mhl.org/historicpreservation/detail.htm?ID=1221 Andover Historic Preservation 112 Main Street]
- Andover Townsman Oct. 1892, Dec. 1893
- Massachusetts: A Chronology & Documentary History R747.4 Chr, page 39.
back to Main Page
--Eleanor 17:21, February 2, 2006 (EST)