Andover - Date of Incorporation
From Andover Answers
Andover was incorporated on May 6, 1646. At that time the town included what is now Andover, North Andover, part of Boxford, and South Lawrence. Boxford separated in 1740. South Lawrence separated in 1847. In 1855 the town voted to into North Andover and Andover.
The first permanent settlement of Andover was established in 1641. Shortly there after the Pennacook tribal chief Cutshamache sold a parcel of land that included Andover for "six pounds and a coat" to John Woodbridge. There was one stipulation on the sale: Roger, a local Pennacook, was granted permission to plant corn and take alewives from a brook on the land.
- Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 11.
- Andover Town Handbook 2001 Update, (R 974.45 Lea 2001), page 3.
--Eleanor 14:46, December 18, 2006 (EST)
back to Main Page