Andover - Early History

From Andover Answers

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(One intermediate revision not shown.)
Line 1: Line 1:
The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick. Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, England, which had been the home of many settlers.
The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick. Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, England, which had been the home of many settlers.
-
A committee was appointed by the General Court on June 1, 1652, to lay out the bounds between Andover and Cambridge, and the same day the Court granted that the five or six hundred acres laid out by Rowley, without their line near Andover town, should belong to Andover.
+
A committee was appointed by the General Court on June 1, 1652, to lay out the bounds between Andover and Cambridge.
*The bounds between Andover and Billerica were established May 26, 1658.
*The bounds between Andover and Billerica were established May 26, 1658.
Line 17: Line 17:
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20Sketches%20of%20Andover&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=5&rt=title ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Bailey, Sarah Loring, (974.45 Bai)
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20Sketches%20of%20Andover&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=5&rt=title ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Bailey, Sarah Loring, (974.45 Bai)
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=616794&t=First%20Settlements%20of%20North%20Andover%20and%20Andover&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title "The Hitherto Undiscovered First Settlements of North Andover and Andover of 1629 and 1634. "] a slide show by Wrigley, Clifford (Andover Room R 974.45 Wri)
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=616794&t=First%20Settlements%20of%20North%20Andover%20and%20Andover&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title "The Hitherto Undiscovered First Settlements of North Andover and Andover of 1629 and 1634. "] a slide show by Wrigley, Clifford (Andover Room R 974.45 Wri)
 +
*[http://ma-vitalrecords.org/MA/Essex/Andover Vital Records of Andover, MA]

Revision as of 18:46, December 13, 2012

The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick. Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, England, which had been the home of many settlers.

A committee was appointed by the General Court on June 1, 1652, to lay out the bounds between Andover and Cambridge.

  • The bounds between Andover and Billerica were established May 26, 1658.
  • The bounds between Andover and Wills Hill were established May 9, 1678.
  • June 20, 1728, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Middleton.
  • April 17, 1847, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Lawrence.
  • April 7, 1855, a part of Andover was established as North Andover.
  • February 7, 1879, a part of Andover was annexed to Lawrence.
  • The bounds between Andover and Tewksbury were established May 21, 1903.
  • The bounds between Andover and North Reading were established April 22, 1904.

See



--Eleanor 15:15, February 21, 2008 (EST)

back to Main Page

Personal tools