Andover - Early History

From Andover Answers

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 17: Line 17:
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20Sketches%20of%20Andover&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=5&rt=title ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Bailey, Sarah Loring, (974.45 Bai)
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20Sketches%20of%20Andover&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=5&rt=title ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Bailey, Sarah Loring, (974.45 Bai)
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=616794&t=First%20Settlements%20of%20North%20Andover%20and%20Andover&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title "The Hitherto Undiscovered First Settlements of North Andover and Andover of 1629 and 1634. "] a slide show by Wrigley, Clifford (Andover Room R 974.45 Wri)
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=616794&t=First%20Settlements%20of%20North%20Andover%20and%20Andover&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title "The Hitherto Undiscovered First Settlements of North Andover and Andover of 1629 and 1634. "] a slide show by Wrigley, Clifford (Andover Room R 974.45 Wri)
 +
*[http://ma-vitalrecords.org/MA/Essex/Andover Vital Records of Andover, MA]

Revision as of 18:46, December 13, 2012

The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick. Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, England, which had been the home of many settlers.

A committee was appointed by the General Court on June 1, 1652, to lay out the bounds between Andover and Cambridge.

  • The bounds between Andover and Billerica were established May 26, 1658.
  • The bounds between Andover and Wills Hill were established May 9, 1678.
  • June 20, 1728, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Middleton.
  • April 17, 1847, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Lawrence.
  • April 7, 1855, a part of Andover was established as North Andover.
  • February 7, 1879, a part of Andover was annexed to Lawrence.
  • The bounds between Andover and Tewksbury were established May 21, 1903.
  • The bounds between Andover and North Reading were established April 22, 1904.

See



--Eleanor 15:15, February 21, 2008 (EST)

back to Main Page

Personal tools