Flood - March 1936 and St. Francis Seminary: Difference between pages

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
mNo edit summary
 
No edit summary
 
Line 1: Line 1:
In March of 1936 there was a devistating flood in Andover.  A torrential downpour on Saturday, March 14, was followed by another on Wednesday, March 18. This second rain storm proved too much for the already swollen waters of the Shawsheen River. The river had crested higher than in the previous 55 years that records had been kept.
Dedicated in November of 1930, The St. Francis Seraphic Seminary, a Catholic school to train boys for the priesthood, was built at 459 River Road near the Tewksbury line. The seminary was closed in 1977The building then became part of the Franciscan Retreat and Conference Center. The Seminary building was razed in October 2016 to make way for a privately developed 55+ residential retirement community "Riverside Woods." The Town agreement with the site developer called for preserving a section of land along the river as open space. Access to the AVIS and town-owned trail systems as well as parking for hikers was planned.
[[Image:stfrancis.jpg|200px|thumb|right|St Francis Seminary With Christmas Lights - A popular holiday sight form the mid-1930's to the mid-1960's
''Andover Townsman'', December 25, 2014, page 14]]
 
'''See'''
----
 
* "St. Francis Seminary Lights Drew Thousands of Onlookers,"'' Andover Townsman'', December 18, 2008.
 
*[http://www.andovertownsman.com/local/x528363060/Elderly-housing-proposal-considered-for-River-Road/print Elderly Housing Proposal Considered for River Road, Franciscan Center Land. ] ''Andover Townsman'' May 12, 2011
 
* [https://preservation.mhl.org/439-river-rd 459 River Road, Andover Historic Preservation Profile.]
*[https://www.newburyportnews.com/news/regional_news/iconic-seminary-in-andover-torn-down/article_3a85a149-5da6-56cc-a6ab-713fdfb49630.html Iconic Seminary in Andover Town Down] ''Newburyport News'' October 26, 2016
*[[Media:200UnitPlanEagleTribune5_31_2015.pdf|200 Unit Plan for River Road in Andover]] ''Eagle Tribune,'' May 31, 2015
 
 
 
 


200 boys from the Conservation corps and troops from the National Guard helped Andover clean up from the 1936 flood. 104 homes were evacuated in the Shawsheen and Marland Villages of Andover.  The Marland Mill Dam prevented flooding in Ballardvale.  Although, at its peak, the water rose to the top of the dam. 




[[Image:Balmoral flood 1936.jpg |thumb||left| “View of the Balmoral,'''' Andover: What It Was, What It Is''…..click to enlarge]] , seventh section                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 




See
*" Shawsheen, Marland Villages Submerged", ''Andover Townsman'', March 20, 1936, page 1.
*"Andover Recovering After Record Flood", ''Andover Townsman'', March 27, 1936, page 1.


<br style="clear:both;" />
<br style="clear:both;" />


--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:39, September 25, 2006 (EDT)
--[[User:Stephanie|Stephanie]] ([[User talk:Stephanie|talk]]) 11:13, 6 July 2021 (EDT)
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:53, August 17, 2011 (EDT)<br>
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 16:23, July 31, 2012 (EDT)<br>
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:33, 22 January 2016 (EST)


back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 11:43, 6 July 2021

Dedicated in November of 1930, The St. Francis Seraphic Seminary, a Catholic school to train boys for the priesthood, was built at 459 River Road near the Tewksbury line. The seminary was closed in 1977. The building then became part of the Franciscan Retreat and Conference Center. The Seminary building was razed in October 2016 to make way for a privately developed 55+ residential retirement community "Riverside Woods." The Town agreement with the site developer called for preserving a section of land along the river as open space. Access to the AVIS and town-owned trail systems as well as parking for hikers was planned.

St Francis Seminary With Christmas Lights - A popular holiday sight form the mid-1930's to the mid-1960's Andover Townsman, December 25, 2014, page 14

See


  • "St. Francis Seminary Lights Drew Thousands of Onlookers," Andover Townsman, December 18, 2008.







--Stephanie (talk) 11:13, 6 July 2021 (EDT)

--Eleanor 15:53, August 17, 2011 (EDT)
--Leslie 16:23, July 31, 2012 (EDT)
--Eleanor (talk) 15:33, 22 January 2016 (EST)

back to Main Page