Andover - Presidential Visits
From Andover Answers
- President George Washington visited Andover on November 5, 1789 on his tour of the eastern states following his inauguration.
- President Andrew Jackson visited Andover on July 1, 1833 on his way to Cambridge to receive an Honorary Degree of Laws from Harvard. Vice President Martin Van Buren was with him.
- President Franklin Pierce considered Andover a second home. His wife's sister lived on Central Street and they spent many summers visiting the home. A terrible train accident occurred while Pierce was traveling as president-elect between Boston and New Hampshire. An axel broke, sending Pierce's train car into an embankment near Frye Village. Pierce's 12-year-old son, Benjamin, was killed.
- Former President Theodore Roosevelt attended his son Archibald's 1913 graduation from Phillips Academy.
- Also in 1913, former President William H. Taft was speaker at the academy's Founders' Day celebration.
- In 1923, President Calvin Coolidge addressed Phillips Academy in honor of the school's 150th anniversary.
- Senator Kennedy made many campaign stops in Andover.
- Presidents George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush both attended Phillips Academy.
- "Presidential visits to Andover, from Washington to Bush," Andover Townsman, July 1, 2010.
--Kim 14:30, September 30, 2013 (EDT)
back to Main Page