Andover - Separation

From Andover Answers

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m
Line 1: Line 1:
-
Because the original settlement of Andover was along Lake Cochichewicke, the meeting house was in that area. When in 1707 the population of the town had increase enough to warrant a second meeting house, the majority of townspeople lived in the southern area of the town. Andover was divided into two parishes and a second meeting house was built in the southern portion.
+
In the mid 1800's the population in the town of Andover had grown and shifted from original settlement along Lake Cochicewick now called the North Parish to the South Parish. On March 6, 1854 the town voted to divide into two separate towns by a vote of 401 to 102. The Massachusetts legislature did not act on Andover's request that year. The town again petitioned the Legislature in 1855. The Act to Divide passed the Senate on April 3, 1855 and the House on April 7, 1855. The Act to Divide the town of Andover and incorporate the town of North Andover was recorded in the Acts and Resolves of 1855. Included in the 10 sections were:
-
 
+
* The South Parish relinquished two fire engines, the fire house in the North Parish and the Alms House * The South Parish paid the North Parish $500.00 to retain the name of Andover.
-
The Southern Parish relinquished two fire engines, the fire house, the Alms House and paid the North Parish $500.00 to retain the name of Andover.
+
* The North Parish became North Andover.
See
See
Line 7: Line 7:
*[http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11T30820Y44P4.8612&profile=man&source=~!horizon&view=subscriptionsummary&uri=full=3100001~!754802~!25&ri=2&aspect=subtab783&menu=search&ipp=20&spp=20&staffonly=&term=history+of+essex+county+hurd&index=.GW&uindex=&aspect=subtab783&menu=search&ri=2#focus ''History of Essex County''], by D. Hamilton Hurd, page 1592, 1657
*[http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11T30820Y44P4.8612&profile=man&source=~!horizon&view=subscriptionsummary&uri=full=3100001~!754802~!25&ri=2&aspect=subtab783&menu=search&ipp=20&spp=20&staffonly=&term=history+of+essex+county+hurd&index=.GW&uindex=&aspect=subtab783&menu=search&ri=2#focus ''History of Essex County''], by D. Hamilton Hurd, page 1592, 1657
*[http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=XY93330691138.69121&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=mofford&index=.AW&term=andover+massachusetts&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Andover Massachusetts Historical Selections from Four Centuries''] by Juliet Haines Mofford, 974.45 Mof page 127 and 128
*[http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=XY93330691138.69121&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=mofford&index=.AW&term=andover+massachusetts&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Andover Massachusetts Historical Selections from Four Centuries''] by Juliet Haines Mofford, 974.45 Mof page 127 and 128
-
* [http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=XY93330691138.69121&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=1&source=%7E%21horizon&index=.AW&term=fuess++.ET%3Dandover+symbol&aspect=subtab783#focus ''Andover Massachusetts: Symbol of New England''] 974.45 Fue,
+
* [http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=XY93330691138.69121&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=1&source=%7E%21horizon&index=.AW&term=fuess++.ET%3Dandover+symbol&aspect=subtab783#focus ''Andover Massachusetts: Symbol of New England''] 974.45 Fue,pages 300 to 310
*''Andover Advertiser'', April 8, 1854, page 2 column 1 and 2
*''Andover Advertiser'', April 8, 1854, page 2 column 1 and 2
townspeople who met with the legislature.)
townspeople who met with the legislature.)

Revision as of 22:53, October 25, 2007

In the mid 1800's the population in the town of Andover had grown and shifted from original settlement along Lake Cochicewick now called the North Parish to the South Parish. On March 6, 1854 the town voted to divide into two separate towns by a vote of 401 to 102. The Massachusetts legislature did not act on Andover's request that year. The town again petitioned the Legislature in 1855. The Act to Divide passed the Senate on April 3, 1855 and the House on April 7, 1855. The Act to Divide the town of Andover and incorporate the town of North Andover was recorded in the Acts and Resolves of 1855. Included in the 10 sections were:

  • The South Parish relinquished two fire engines, the fire house in the North Parish and the Alms House * The South Parish paid the North Parish $500.00 to retain the name of Andover.
  • The North Parish became North Andover.

See

townspeople who met with the legislature.)

  • Andover Advertiser, March 10, 1855, page 2 column 1
  • Andover Advertiser March 17, 1855, page 2, column 3 (Letter requesting the division of the town and the Senate Commitee report of the division of the town.)
  • Andover Advertiser, April 7, 1855, page 2 column 1 and 2)
  • Andover Advertiser, April 14, 1855, page 2 colums 4 (The legislative act dividing the town.)


--Eleanor 12:48, October 22, 2007 (EDT)

back to Main Page

Personal tools