Andover - Separation

From Andover Answers

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m
(2 intermediate revisions not shown.)
Line 7: Line 7:
See
See
-
*[http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=119X071483U9J.4295&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=and+firm+thine+ancient+vow&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''And Firm Thine Ancient Vow''] by Juliet Haines Mofford 974.45 Mof, page 159 - page 160.
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=422092&t=And%20Firm%20Thine%20Ancient%20Vow&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title ''The history of North Parish Church of North Andover, 1645-1974 : and Firm Thine Ancient Vow''] by Juliet Haines Mofford 974.45 Mof, page 159 - page 160.
*''Andover Advertiser'', April 8, 1854, page 2 column 1 and 2 (townspeople who met with the legislature.)
*''Andover Advertiser'', April 8, 1854, page 2 column 1 and 2 (townspeople who met with the legislature.)
*''Andover Advertiser'', March 10, 1855, page 2 column 1
*''Andover Advertiser'', March 10, 1855, page 2 column 1
Line 13: Line 13:
*''Andover Advertiser'', April 7, 1855, page 2 column 1 and 2
*''Andover Advertiser'', April 7, 1855, page 2 column 1 and 2
*''Andover Advertiser'', April 14, 1855, page 2 colums 4 (The legislative act dividing the town.)
*''Andover Advertiser'', April 14, 1855, page 2 colums 4 (The legislative act dividing the town.)
-
*[http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=XY93330691138.69121&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=mofford&index=.AW&term=andover+massachusetts&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Andover Massachusetts Historical Selections from Four Centuries''] by Juliet Haines Mofford, 974.45 Mof page 127 and 128
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=917450&t=Andover%20Massachusetts%20Historical%20Selections%20from%20Four%20Centuries&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title''Andover Massachusetts Historical Selections from Four Centuries''] by Juliet Haines Mofford, 974.45 Mof page 127 and 128
-
* [http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=QQ9335391677I.78447&profile=man&source=~!horizon&view=subscriptionsummary&uri=full=3100001~!250279~!1&ri=1&aspect=subtab783&menu=search&ipp=20&spp=20&staffonly=&term=fuess&index=.AW&uindex=&oper=&term=andover+&index=.ET&uindex=&aspect=subtab783&menu=search&ri=1#focus Andover Symbol of New England] by Fuess, Claude, 974.45 Fue pages 300 to 310
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=250279&t=andover%20Symbol%20of%20New%20England&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title Andover Symbol of New England] by Fuess, Claude, 974.45 Fue, pages 300 to 310
-
*[http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11T30820Y44P4.8612&profile=man&source=~!horizon&view=subscriptionsummary&uri=full=3100001~!754802~!25&ri=2&aspect=subtab783&menu=search&ipp=20&spp=20&staffonly=&term=history+of+essex+county+hurd&index=.GW&uindex=&aspect=subtab783&menu=search&ri=2#focus ''History of Essex County''], by D. Hamilton Hurd, page 1592, 1657
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=754803&t=History%20of%20Essex%20County&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=21&rt=title ''History of Essex County''], by D. Hamilton Hurd, page 1592, 1657

Revision as of 20:42, June 29, 2011

In the mid 1800's the population in the town of Andover had grown and had shifted from original settlement along Lake Cochichewick now called the North Parish to the South Parish several miles away. On March 6, 1854 the town voted to divide into two separate towns by a vote of 401 to 102. The Massachusetts legislature did not act on Andover's request that year. The town again petitioned the Legislature in 1855. The Act to Divide passed the Senate on April 3, 1855 and the House on April 7, 1855.

The Act to Divide the town of Andover and incorporate the town of North Andover was recorded in the Acts and Resolves of 1855. Included in the 10 sections were:

  • The South Parish relinquished two fire engines, the fire house in the North Parish and the Alms House * The South Parish paid the North Parish $500.00 to retain the name of Andover.
  • The North Parish became North Andover.


See



--Eleanor 12:48, October 22, 2007 (EDT)

back to Main Page

Personal tools