Andover - Separation

From Andover Answers

Revision as of 23:03, October 25, 2007 by Eleanor (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

In the mid 1800's the population in the town of Andover had grown and had shifted from original settlement along Lake Cochichewick now called the North Parish to the South Parish several miles away. On March 6, 1854 the town voted to divide into two separate towns by a vote of 401 to 102. The Massachusetts legislature did not act on Andover's request that year. The town again petitioned the Legislature in 1855. The Act to Divide passed the Senate on April 3, 1855 and the House on April 7, 1855.

The Act to Divide the town of Andover and incorporate the town of North Andover was recorded in the Acts and Resolves of 1855. Included in the 10 sections were:

  • The South Parish relinquished two fire engines, the fire house in the North Parish and the Alms House * The South Parish paid the North Parish $500.00 to retain the name of Andover.
  • The North Parish became North Andover.


See

  • And Firm Thine Ancient Vow by Juliet Haines Mofford 974.45 Mof, page 159 - page 160.
  • Andover Advertiser, April 8, 1854, page 2 column 1 and 2

townspeople who met with the legislature.)



--Eleanor 12:48, October 22, 2007 (EDT)

back to Main Page

Personal tools