Andover - Town Seal
From Andover Answers
- The original town seal included just text: the town name, state, and date of incorporation.
- In 1995 John E. Whiting, a local jewler, designed a souvenir porcelin pin depicting the sale of the land from the Indians.
- When Andover celebrated it's 250th anniversary in 1896, Indian Chief Cutshumache, with a coat draped over his arm, holds a bag containing 6 English pounds. A banner was also commissioned using the same picture. [Andover's 250th Anniversary Banner]
- The design was adopted at the annual Town Meeting on March, 5, 1900.
- For the Town's 350th anniversary, the Town requisitioned a painting of the seal for the selectman's meeting Room. Kristoffel Meulen, then a high school senior, was chosen.
--Eleanor 12:39, July 13, 2007 (EDT)
back to Main Page