Andover - Town Seal

From Andover Answers

Revision as of 19:04, July 13, 2007 by Eleanor (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
  • The original town seal included just text: the town name, state, and date of incorporation.
  • In 1895 John E. Whiting, a local jewler, designed a souvenir porcelin pin depicting the sale of the land from the Indians.
    • When Andover celebrated it's 250th anniversary in 1896, Indian Chief Cutshumache, with a coat draped over his arm, holds a bag containing 6 English pounds. A banner was also commissioned using the same picture. Andover's 250th Anniversary Banner
    • The design was adopted at the annual Town Meeting on March, 5, 1900.
  • For the Town's 350th anniversary, the Town requisitioned a painting of the seal for the selectman's meeting Room. Kristoffel Meulen, then a high school senior, was chosen.

See

  • Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 188
  • Andover: Symbol of New England, by Claude Moore Fuess,(974.45 Fuess),page 373.
  • "Sealed with Historical Inaccuracies" Andover Townsman, February 1, 2007
  • "New Town Seal," Andover Townsman, March 9, 1900
  • The Townswoman's Andover by Bessie Goldsmith (974.45 Gol),page 2
  • Andover Vertical File - Government - Town Seal
  • There is a color picture of the seal on the Andover Finance Report for 1976


--Eleanor 12:39, July 13, 2007 (EDT)

back to Main Page

Personal tools