Andover - Town Seal
From Andover Answers
- The original town seal included just text: the town name, state, and date of incorporation.
- In 1895 John E. Whiting, a local jewler, designed a porcelin pin depicting the sale of the land from the Indians as a souvenir for the Town's 250th anniversary.
- A banner was also commissioned using the same picture. Andover's 250th Anniversary Banner
- The new town seal was adopted at the annual Town Meeting on March, 5, 1900.
- For the Town's 350th anniversary, the Town requisitioned a painting of the seal for the selectman's meeting room. Kristoffel Meulen, then a high school senior, was chosen.
- Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 188
- Andover: Symbol of New England, by Claude Moore Fuess,(974.45 Fuess), page 373
- "Sealed with Historical Inaccuracies" Andover Townsman, February 1, 2007
- "New Town Seal," Andover Townsman, March 9, 1900
- The Townswoman's Andover by Bessie Goldsmith (974.45 Gol), page 2
- Town and City Seals of Massachusets, by Allan Forbes (929.9 For volume 2), page 6
- Andover Vertical File - Government - Town Seal
- There is a color picture of the seal on the Andover Finance Report for 1976
--Eleanor 12:39, July 13, 2007 (EDT)
back to Main Page