Andover Artist - Dorothy Piercy
From Andover Answers
In 1957 Dorothy Piercy painted mural of downtown Andover. The scene began at the Free Church on Elm Street, wrapped around the corner and ended at the Town Offices building then on Main Street. It was hung on the wall of Ford's Coffee shop and depicted 10 residents of Andover. When the coffee shop closed in 1994 the mural was moved to the town offices.
In 1997 to commemorate the Town's 350th anniversary she painted the same scene, depicting the changes in the businesses along the block. This time she depicted 145 townspeople, including Firefighter William Loehr, Tom Edmunds of the Andover Historical Society, and the Town Manager, Reginald "Buzz" Stapcynski, and his two sons.
Both murals hang in the town offices.
- "Mother of 5 Paints Mural of Main Street", Andover Townsman, July 25, 1957, page 1 & 2.
- "Mural of a Life Time", Andover Townsman, January 16, 1997, page 1.
- "Mural Painter Gives New Meaning to Accessible Art Work", Andover Townsman, January 23, 1997.
- "Downtown Murals Show Past and Present", Andover Townsman, December 4, 1998 page 15.
- "Murals from Ford's Coffee damaged, being repaired", Andover Townsman Online, September 22, 2011.