Andover Author - Elizabeth Stuart Phelps
From Andover Answers
Mary Gray Phelps was born on August 31, 1844. After her mother died Mary Gray took her mother's name: Elizabeth Stuart. She was educated in Andover at the Abbot Female Seminary. She championed the working class and worked to improved conditions for them.
She was a prolific author, having written 57 books. Her books are held in a special author collection in the Andover Room.
- The Gates Ajar 1868 (A novel that presented a comforting view of the afterlife for Civil War widows.)
- Hedged In 1870
- The Silent Partner 1871
- The Story of Avis 1877
- Sealed Orders 1879 Short stories many of them reprinted from Harper's Monthly.
- Gates Ajar 1883
- Old Maids and Burglars in Paradise 1885
- Madonna of the Tubs 1886
- Austin Phelps: A Memoir 1891 The biography of her father, a professor at Andover Theological Seminary
- Donald Marcy 1893
- Chapters from Life 1896 Her autobiography
- Singular Life 1897
- Men, Women, and Ghosts 1899
--Eleanor 15:46, March 13, 2012 (EDT)
back to Main Page