Andover Bookstore / Andover Press

From Andover Answers

Revision as of 15:08, July 6, 2010 by Jen (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
  • Andover's First Printing Press was set up in 1798 by Ames and Parker.
  • In 1809 Deacon Mark Newman became the bookseller to Phillips Academy. His bookstore (Andover Bookstore) was located on the first floor of the Andover Theological Seminary.
  • In 1813 Dr. Eliphalet Pearson moved the printing press to the second floor of Newman's building.
  • The Andover Press and the Andover Bookstore evolved together.
  • The Andover Bookstore is the oldest business still in operation. It is now located in Olde Andover Village.

The Andover Bookstore

  • The Andover Bookstore is the nationa's second-oldest bookstore.
  • In the late 1860s the store moved downtown to 37 Main Street. From here, the owners also launched the publication of the Andover Townsman newspaper.
  • In 1960, the owners stopped running the printing press that had been established in 1798.
  • In 1963, the store moved to its current location at 89R Main Street.
  • In 1992, the bookstore was purchased by current owner Robert Hugo.
  • The bookstore celebrated its 200th birthday in 2009.


  • Andover Townsman, January 28, 1954, page 3.
  • "An Illustrious Town-Andover", The New England Magazine, Vol. 1, No. 4, April 1886. p. 301+
  • "200 years of pages turned", Boston Globe, December 3, 2009.
  • "Staying Power", Publisher's Weekly, November 23, 2009.
  • "200-year-old bookstore", Andover Townsman, January 22, 2009.

--Eleanor 16:40, February 8, 2006 (EST) --Jen 11:08, July 6, 2010 (EST) back to Main Page

Personal tools