Andover Bookstore / Andover Press
From Andover Answers
- Andover's First Printing Press was set up in 1798 by Ames and Parker.
- In 1809 Deacon Mark Newman became the bookseller to Phillips Academy. His bookstore (Andover Bookstore) was located on the first floor of the Andover Theological Seminary.
- In 1813 Dr. Eliphalet Pearson moved the printing press to the second floor of Newman's building.
- The Andover Press and the Andover Bookstore evolved together.
- The Andover Bookstore is the oldest business still in operation. It is now located in Olde Andover Village.
The Andover Bookstore
- The Andover Bookstore is the nation's second-oldest, continually-running bookstore. I tis the oldest independent bookstore.
- In the late 1860s the store moved downtown to 37 Main Street. From here, the owners also launched the publication of the Andover Townsman newspaper.
- In 1960, the owners stopped running the printing press that had been established in 1798.
- In 1963, the store moved to its current location at 89R Main Street.
- In 1992, the bookstore was purchased by current owner Robert Hugo.
- The bookstore celebrated its 200th birthday in 2009.
- In 2011, the bookstore began selling "all things knitting," including yarn and patterns.
- History of the Andover Bookstore
- Andover, What It Was, What It Is. : 300th Anniversary, May 30 - June 2, 1946, 974.45 And, eighth section Andover's Industries and Business Houses
- Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) p. 150.
- Andover Townsman, January 28, 1954, page 3.
- "An Illustrious Town-Andover", The New England Magazine, Vol. 1, No. 4, April 1886. p. 301+
- "200 years of pages turned", Boston Globe, December 3, 2009.
- "Staying Power", Publisher's Weekly, November 23, 2009.
- "200-year-old bookstore", Andover Townsman, January 22, 2009.
- "Fancy that!", The Andover Townsman, June 24, 2010.
- "Three books, from the authors' mouths", The Andover Townsman, November 18, 2010.
- "New chapter at Andover Bookstore: Clothing Annex", The Andover Townsman, November 25, 2010.
- "Weekly author visits at Andover Bookstore", The Andover Townsman, February 3, 2011.