Andover Business - Andover Bowling Alley

From Andover Answers

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (New page: The Andover Bowling Alley was establised in 1916 by partners James Ross and Roy Hardy as a 4 lane alley on Essex Street. It was moved to Park Street in 1939. They also opened the Lawrence...)
(One intermediate revision not shown.)
Line 1: Line 1:
-
The Andover Bowling Alley was establised in 1916 by partners James Ross and Roy Hardy as a 4 lane alley on Essex Street. It was moved to Park Street in 1939. They also opened the Lawrence Recreation Center in Lawrence, a facility that housed 20 alleys and 7 billard tables that same year. James Ross died in 1949 and the his share of the business went to his wife Mary Ross and his daughter Christine Jones. Roy Hardy ran the bowling alleys until his death in 1959 when both facilties were were passed onto Christine's son Ted Jones who modernized the alleys by adding pin-setting machines.
+
The Andover Bowling Alley was established in 1916 by partners James Ross and Roy Hardy as a 4 lane alley on Essex Street. It was moved to Park Street in 1939. That same year they also opened the Lawrence Recreation Center in Lawrence, a facility that housed 20 alleys and 7 billard tables. James Ross died in 1949 and his share of the business went to his wife, Mary Ross, and his daughter, Christine Jones. Roy Hardy ran the bowling alleys until his death in 1959 when both facilties were were passed onto Christine's son, Ted Jones, who modernized the alleys by adding pin-setting machines. In 1997, the abandoned alley on Park Street was torn down for new development.
-
 
+
See
See
-
* "For Her, the Memoru Lanes Keep on Rolling", ''Townsman'', December 18, 1997.
+
* "Bowling alley site wasn't always a place for spares and strikes", ''Townsman'', November 13, 1997.
 +
* "For Her, the Memory Lanes Keep on Rolling", ''Townsman'', December 18, 1997.
 +
* "Andover's Ins and Outs of 1997," ''Andover Townsman'', December 31, 1997.
Line 9: Line 10:
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:49, August 17, 2011 (EDT)
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:49, August 17, 2011 (EDT)
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 14:04, June 14, 2012 (EDT)
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 19:16, December 3, 2012

The Andover Bowling Alley was established in 1916 by partners James Ross and Roy Hardy as a 4 lane alley on Essex Street. It was moved to Park Street in 1939. That same year they also opened the Lawrence Recreation Center in Lawrence, a facility that housed 20 alleys and 7 billard tables. James Ross died in 1949 and his share of the business went to his wife, Mary Ross, and his daughter, Christine Jones. Roy Hardy ran the bowling alleys until his death in 1959 when both facilties were were passed onto Christine's son, Ted Jones, who modernized the alleys by adding pin-setting machines. In 1997, the abandoned alley on Park Street was torn down for new development.

See

  • "Bowling alley site wasn't always a place for spares and strikes", Townsman, November 13, 1997.
  • "For Her, the Memory Lanes Keep on Rolling", Townsman, December 18, 1997.
  • "Andover's Ins and Outs of 1997," Andover Townsman, December 31, 1997.



--Eleanor 16:49, August 17, 2011 (EDT) --Kim 14:04, June 14, 2012 (EDT) back to Main Page

Personal tools