Andover Business - Andover Bowling Alley
From Andover Answers
The Andover Bowling Alley was established in 1916 by partners James Ross and Roy Hardy as a 4 lane alley on Essex Street. It was moved to Park Street in 1939. That same year they also opened the Lawrence Recreation Center in Lawrence, a facility that housed 20 alleys and 7 billard tables. James Ross died in 1949 and his share of the business went to his wife, Mary Ross, and his daughter, Christine Jones. Roy Hardy ran the bowling alleys until his death in 1959 when both facilties were were passed onto Christine's son, Ted Jones, who modernized the alleys by adding pin-setting machines.
- "Bowling alley site wasn't always a place for spares and strikes", Townsman, November 13, 1997.
- "For Her, the Memory Lanes Keep on Rolling", Townsman, December 18, 1997.