Andover Business - Andover Inn
From Andover Answers
The Andover Inn is owned by Phillips Academy and is located on Chapel Avenue. It was built in 1930 and has switched hands a number of times since then.
- Built in 1930 as a dormitory building.
- Was converted into a hotel and restaurant in the 1950s.
- In March of 1976 the Andover Inn came under the management of dutch hotelier Henry P.J. Broekhoff who oversaw business at the Inn for 30 years.
- Broekhoff's son, Marc, began acting as the Inn's general manager in 2000.
- Broekhoff took a fall in 2001 and broke both of his heels. From 2001 to 2005 he had trouble completing all of the required tasks due to a perpetual limp. Ultimately, he decided to retire from the Andover Inn effective December 31, 2005.
- Broekhoff hoped that the Inn would be passed along to his son, Marc, and daughter-in-law, Patricia. However, Phillips Academy chose to give the contract to a larger company. Broekhoff and his family decided to move on and purchased the Blacksmith Shop Resaurant in Pockport on September 19, 2005.
- The Vermont consulting company Oates & Brefeldt took over the Andover Inn on January 1, 2006.
- State Sanitary Code violations kept the Andover Inn closed until June 9, 2006. Besides cleanliness issues, the main problem was that a cooking range hood needed to be installed.
- While under the management of Oates & Bredfeldt, the Inn's restaurant was lead by award-winning chef William Hollinger.
- In February of 2008, Oates & Bredfeldt ended their contract with Philips Academy due to some legal conflicts. The disputes eventually led Phillips to sue Oates & Bredfeldt for $185,000 in back rent.
- Morello Hospitality Group took over as the Andover Inn's management company in February of 2008. Unfortunately, Oates & Bredfeldt chose not to transfer their liquor license to the new management team and as a result, the Inn was unable to serve alcoholic beverages for about 3 months.
- When the Inn was relaunched by Matthew Morello and Alison Sudalter-Morello in September of 2008, it did so under a revamped name -- the Andover Inn, Brasserie.
- Prior to managing Brasserie, the Morellos operated Savour at Park Street Village.
- James Flynn is the acting manager of the Andover Inn, Brasserie.
- On July 1, 2009, the Andover Inn closed for an extensive renovation project that is estimated to last 18 months. It is scheduled to reopen in January 2011.
- The renovation project is being funded by an anonymous donor who is a graduate of Phillips Academy.
- The renovation project was awarded to the Burlington, MA, construction management firm Erland Construction, Inc. who is teaming with the design firm Arrowstreet, Inc. Construction will begin in September 2010 and will be complete in late 2010.
- "Old school and elegance", Eagle Tribune, May 23, 2005.
- "New Andover Inn managers to bring changes", Eagle Tribune, October 11, 2005.
- "Andover Inn in 2006: Under New Management"
- "Violations delay new Andover Inn rollout", Andover Townsman, February 16, 2006.
- "Inns - and outs - for Broekhoff", Andover Townsman, May 25, 2006.
- "Andover Inn reopens; new management", Andover Townsman, June 22, 2006.
- "License - but no booze at Inn", Andover Townsman, March 20, 2008.
- "New Andover Inn unveiled", Andover Townsman, September 25, 2008.
- "Andover Inn reopens with new Brasserie", Eagle Tribune, September 30, 2008.
- "Andover Inn has closed", Andover Townsman, July 2, 2009.
- "Most of Andover Inn to be gutted", Andover Townsman, October 15, 2009.
back to Main Page
--Jen 15:22, July 7, 2010 (EST)