Colonial Theater and Andover Business - Hughes Pharmacy: Difference between pages

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
 
No edit summary
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Colonial Theater was located on Essex Street. In the 1950's it changed its name to Andover Playhouse and was once the home of the Andover Senior Center.  
Hughes Pharmacy opened in 1854. The business was originally a jewelry store, located on Central Street, which had started to sell elixirs. The business moved to the West side of Main Street, and, finally, to the Barnard Building at 16 main Street. In 1967 Alan and Rosemary Hughes bought the business. In 1991 Alan died, and Rosemary Hughes ran the pharmacy with the help of a hired pharmacist. It became difficult to pay a pharmacist and also pay the increased leasing costs which were the result of a foreclosure on  the Barnard Building. The pharmacy closed in March 1991 and the business was sold to CVS.


It functioned as a movie theater.  Movies could not be shown on Sundays until 1933.


It was razed for the parking lot behind the Memorial Hall Library in 1985.


[[File:andoverplayhouse.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Andover Playhouse / parking lot behind the Library]]   
See
*Hughes Pharmacy Closes. ''Andover Townsman'' 3/14/1991, p. 1, 2.
<br style="clear:both;" /> 
[[File:HughesPharmacy.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Hughes Pharmacy in 1978 from ''Andover Townsman'', Past and Present December 28, 2006]]
<br style="clear:both;" />    
At the time of this photo, there were three drug stores in downtown Andover: Hughes Pharmacy, Hartigan's Drug Store and Simeone's Drug Store.


<br style="clear:both;" />   
<br style="clear:both;" />   
See
*[[Andover Business - Kabloom]]


See
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/487303?query=andover%20century%20of%20change;qtype=keyword;fi%3Asearch_format=;locg=5 Andover: A Century of Change, 1896-1996],  by Eleanor Motley Richardson, 974.45 Ric, page 138


--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 11:55, 18 March 2015 (EDT)


<br style="clear:both;" />
<br style="clear:both;" />
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 13:39, July 31, 2012 (EDT)
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 16:05, 8 May 2015 (EDT)
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 16:12, 8 May 2015

Hughes Pharmacy opened in 1854. The business was originally a jewelry store, located on Central Street, which had started to sell elixirs. The business moved to the West side of Main Street, and, finally, to the Barnard Building at 16 main Street. In 1967 Alan and Rosemary Hughes bought the business. In 1991 Alan died, and Rosemary Hughes ran the pharmacy with the help of a hired pharmacist. It became difficult to pay a pharmacist and also pay the increased leasing costs which were the result of a foreclosure on the Barnard Building. The pharmacy closed in March 1991 and the business was sold to CVS.


See

  • Hughes Pharmacy Closes. Andover Townsman 3/14/1991, p. 1, 2.


Hughes Pharmacy in 1978 from Andover Townsman, Past and Present December 28, 2006


At the time of this photo, there were three drug stores in downtown Andover: Hughes Pharmacy, Hartigan's Drug Store and Simeone's Drug Store.


See




--Leslie 13:39, July 31, 2012 (EDT)


--Eleanor (talk) 16:05, 8 May 2015 (EDT)


back to Main Page