Andover High School
From Andover Answers
The first high school in Andover was the Punchard Free School, founded in 1856 by bequest from Benjamin Punchard. In 1901, the name was changed to Punchard High School. A new high school was built in 1957 on Shawsheen Road and the name was changed again to Andover High School. In 1968, this school became West Middle and a larger high school was built on Shawsheen Road. Construction for a new addition and renovations to the high school began in January 1995.
Andover High School is undergoing reaccreditation in 2012-2013. The New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) completed its review of the school in December 2012. The report will be available in the Spring of 2013.
- "Forgotten Pledge: Not said at Andover High for months," Andover Townsman, April 28, 2005, p. 1.
- "Coming to a high school near you: New locks, outside cameras," Andover Townsman, April 28, 2005.
- "'Groundbreaking' high school: AHS named as model of excellence," Andover Townsman, May 5, 2005, p. 5.
- "Andover High School principal search ongoing," Andover Townsman, March 5, 2009.
- "New AHS principal made mark in Texas," Andover Townsman, March 19, 2009, p. 1.
- "New Andover High principal named," Boston Globe NorthWest, March 19, 2009, p. 3.
- "AHS needs to be more personal: Accreditation: Activism, teaching, food are strengths," Andover Townsman, December 20, 2012, page 1.
- "Past & Present: Andover High School," Andover Townsman, February 7, 2013, p. 3.
- Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) pages 158+
- Annual Report, 1995.
back to Main Page