Andover Town Hall

From Andover Answers

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
Current revision (15:44, March 3, 2014) (edit) (undo)
 
(One intermediate revision not shown.)
Line 1: Line 1:
-
After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homes. It became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street. The building was listed National Register of Historic Places.
+
See Old Town House
 +
 
 +
After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homes. It became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street.
During World War II the meeting hall on the upper floor was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building, however, was not torn down then but the fever to tear down the building was rejuvenated in a Town warrant article during the 1960's. When Fred Cheever, a local real estate developer donated $500 to begin renovation the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. Finally the 1987 Town Meeting appropriated $2.6 million dollars to renovate the old Town Hall and the process began. Using old photographs the meeting room was restored; it is now rented for functions.
During World War II the meeting hall on the upper floor was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building, however, was not torn down then but the fever to tear down the building was rejuvenated in a Town warrant article during the 1960's. When Fred Cheever, a local real estate developer donated $500 to begin renovation the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. Finally the 1987 Town Meeting appropriated $2.6 million dollars to renovate the old Town Hall and the process began. Using old photographs the meeting room was restored; it is now rented for functions.
-
 
 +
The building is now listed National Register of Historic Places.
 +
See
See
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/487303?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20century%20of%20change;qtype=keyword;locg=5 Andover A Century of Change], by Eleanor Motley Richardson, 974.45 Ric page 43.
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/487303?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20century%20of%20change;qtype=keyword;locg=5 Andover A Century of Change], by Eleanor Motley Richardson, 974.45 Ric page 43.

Current revision

See Old Town House

After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homes. It became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street.

During World War II the meeting hall on the upper floor was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building, however, was not torn down then but the fever to tear down the building was rejuvenated in a Town warrant article during the 1960's. When Fred Cheever, a local real estate developer donated $500 to begin renovation the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. Finally the 1987 Town Meeting appropriated $2.6 million dollars to renovate the old Town Hall and the process began. Using old photographs the meeting room was restored; it is now rented for functions.

The building is now listed National Register of Historic Places.

See


--Eleanor 13:23, February 16, 2013 (EST)

back to Main Page

Personal tools