Cemeteries in Andover

From Andover Answers

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
The first documented gravestone in Andover was placed at South Church in 1711.
 +
 +
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=640791 Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy]
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=640791 Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy]
**Originally the cemetery for the Andover Theological Seminary
**Originally the cemetery for the Andover Theological Seminary
Line 77: Line 80:
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=32772&t=guide%20to%20cemeteries%20in%20massachusetts&tp=keyword&l=5&d=1&hc=2&rt=keyword Guide to Cemeteries in Essex County Massachusetts] R929.5 Gui (The information for Andover is in the Andover File -- Cemeteries.)
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=32772&t=guide%20to%20cemeteries%20in%20massachusetts&tp=keyword&l=5&d=1&hc=2&rt=keyword Guide to Cemeteries in Essex County Massachusetts] R929.5 Gui (The information for Andover is in the Andover File -- Cemeteries.)
 +
*[http://andoverhistorical.org/ The Andover Historical Society] has a list of cemetery inventories for Christ Church, St. Augustine's, Phillips Academy Chapel, Spring Grove, West Parish cemeteries.
-
 
+
*"Finding roots in Andover," ''Eagle Tribune'', January 11, 2009, p. 9.
-
*[http://andoverhistorical.org/ The Andover Historical Society] has a list of cemetery inventories for Christ Church, St. Augustine's, Phillips Academy Chapel, Spring Grove, West Parish cemeteries.
+

Revision as of 19:53, May 9, 2013

The first documented gravestone in Andover was placed at South Church in 1711.




  • Jenkins Family Cemetery
    • Located off Douglas Road near the Jenkins Farmhouse.
    • Graves in this cemetery date back to 1752.


  • Phillips Academy Chapel Cemetery
    • Located on Chapel Avenue.
    • The burying ground of Andover Theological Seminary.


  • Sacred Heart Cemetery
    • Located on Corbett Road in the Shawsheen section of Andover.






  • Spring Grove Cemetery
    • Located on Abbot Street.
    • This is the Andover town cemetery. At the annual town meeting on March 1, 1869, it was voted to purchase land for the cemetery. Graves in this cemetery date back to 1871. A history of the cemetery is contained in a pamphlet entited "Spring Grove Cemetery: Information and rules and regulations, June 30, 1941.
    • An online search by name is located on the town's website Spring Grove Cemetery search



  • United Lebanese Cemetery
    • 250 Hampshire Street, Lawrence, MA 01841, 978-683-5416


  • West Parish Cemetery
    • Located at 129 Reservation Road.
    • Graves in this cemetery date back to 1692 & 1751.


  • Woodbridge Family Graveyard
    • Behind 89 Jenkins Road
    • Only 12 stones remain in this unused family graveyard.
    • Originally the Samuel Jenkins family was buried there. They have all been reinterred at Spring Grove.
    • The town adopted the cemetery at the 2002 town meeting.

See

See also

  • The Andover Historical Society has a list of cemetery inventories for Christ Church, St. Augustine's, Phillips Academy Chapel, Spring Grove, West Parish cemeteries.
  • "Finding roots in Andover," Eagle Tribune, January 11, 2009, p. 9.


--Eleanor 15:41, June 13, 2006 (EDT)
--Kim 20:38, December 12, 2012 (EST)

back to Main Page

Personal tools