Abbot Academy and Memorial Hall Library Entrance Construction Project 1994: Difference between pages

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
 
No edit summary
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Abbot Female Seminary, the first school dedicated to the the higher education of girls in the United States, was incorporated on February 26, 1829 in Andover, Massachusetts. Sarah Abbot was the founder of the school later known as Abbot Academy. It continued as a school for girls only until 1973 when it merged with Philips Academy.


See
In 1993, Memorial Hall Library and the Trustees of Memorial Hall Library undertook a front-entrance redesign project to return the building to front landscape and walkway design closer to the original  1920s entrance look and feel. Local landscape arctitect Peter Hornbeck and Andover architect Jane Griswold collaborated on the design which included native plantings, an oval brick patio and granite curbing. Project funding included individual and corporate private donors, Memorial Hall Library Trustee funds and state funds.  
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=81965&t=Abbot%20Academy%2C%20Andover%20Massachusetts&tp=title&l=5&d=1&hc=5&rt=title''Abbot Academy, Andover Massachusetts''] by Abbot Academy, Andover Room R 376.9 Abb (pamphlet box 4)
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=340079&t=academy%20sketches&tp=title&l=5&d=1&hc=2&rt=title''Academy Sketches 1892 - 1912''] by Katharine Roxanna Kelsey, Andover Room R 376.9 Kel
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=438629&t=journal%20of%20abbot%20academy%20girl&tp=title&l=5&d=1&hc=1&rt=title ''Journal of an Abbot Academy Girl 1874 - 1876''] by Harriet Chapell Newcomb, Andover Room R 376.9 New
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=378415&t=A%20Singular%20School%3A%20Abbot%20Academy&tp=title&l=5&d=1&hc=1&rt=title ''A Singular School: Abbot Academy, 1828 - 1973''] by Susan McIntosh Lloyd, Andover Room R 376.9 Llo


* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=81964&t=abbot%20academy%20at%20andover%20massachusetts&tp=title&l=5&d=1&hc=1&rt=title "Abbot Academy at Andover, Massachusetts"]
The front entrance project was originally part of a major 1987 renovation and addition project. Due to a state-funding budget shortfall, the front-entrance redesign project was not underway until  the summer of 1994.  


*"Abbot Academy," ''New England Magazine'', February 1886, page 136 - 151.
[[Image:MHL94Redesign.jpg|thumb|...''Old Town Hall''.... click to enlarge|left]]
*"Miss Carpenter's Book On Abbot is Published," ''Andover Townsman'', November 25, 1959, p. 1.
*"You've Come a Long Way, Ladies", ''The Townsman'', June 1, 1978, page 4-A & 5A.
*"Old Girl's School to Have New Life," ''Lawrence Eagle Tribune'', (photos) November 30, 1994, p.9.
*"Renewed Life for 1829 Abbot Academy Home.(Draper Hall)," ''Eagle Tribune'', (photos)  May 2, 1997, p. 13, 14.
*"Mary Hinckley Hutchings Crane (long obituary for headmistress of Abbot from 1956 until 1966, photo)," ''Andover Townsman'', May 10, 2007.
*"Three prestigious Andover schools become one," ''Andover Townsman'', December 20, 2012, page 10.
 
 
* Andover Room File - Private Schools


<br style="clear:both;" />
<br style="clear:both;" />


--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:11, February 13, 2008 (EST)<br>
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 13:28, September 21, 2012 (EDT)<br>
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:10, 24 March 2016 (EDT)


back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 12:21, 18 November 2019

In 1993, Memorial Hall Library and the Trustees of Memorial Hall Library undertook a front-entrance redesign project to return the building to front landscape and walkway design closer to the original 1920s entrance look and feel. Local landscape arctitect Peter Hornbeck and Andover architect Jane Griswold collaborated on the design which included native plantings, an oval brick patio and granite curbing. Project funding included individual and corporate private donors, Memorial Hall Library Trustee funds and state funds.

The front entrance project was originally part of a major 1987 renovation and addition project. Due to a state-funding budget shortfall, the front-entrance redesign project was not underway until the summer of 1994.

File:MHL94Redesign.jpg
...Old Town Hall.... click to enlarge



back to Main Page