Cemeteries in Andover
From Andover Answers
The first documented gravestone in Andover was placed at South Church in 1711.
- Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy
- Originally the cemetery for the Andover Theological Seminary
- First burial was in 1810.
- Those buried include: Harriet Beecher Stowe; John Dove; Alice Buck; Elizabeth Stuart Phelps and Warren Draper.
- "A little cemetery - a lot of history," Andover Townsman, December 5, 2013, p. 16.
- Christ Church Cemetery - Episcopal
- Located at 25 Central Street.
- Graves in this cemetery date back to 1840.
- Jenkins Family Cemetery
- Located off Douglas Road near the Jenkins Farmhouse.
- Graves in this cemetery date back to 1752.
- Phillips Academy Chapel Cemetery
- Located on Chapel Avenue.
- The burying ground of Andover Theological Seminary.
- Sacred Heart Cemetery
- Located on Corbett Road in the Shawsheen section of Andover.
- St. Augustine's Church Cemetery
- Located off Lupine Road; office at 43 Essex Street.
- Graves in this cemetery date back to 1855.
- North Parish Burial Ground in North Andover
- First burial ground established in Andover. Andover split into the North Parish (North Andover) and South Parish (Andover) in 1855.
- "The Old Burial Ground on Academy Road, North Andover
- South Church Cemetery
- Located at the corner of Central and School Streets (41 Central Street)
- Oldest cemetery in Andover
- First burial was Robert Russell in 1710.
- List of people buried in South Church Cemetery
- Spring Grove Cemetery
- Located on Abbot Street.
- This is the Andover town cemetery. At the annual town meeting on March 1, 1869, it was voted to purchase land for the cemetery. Graves in this cemetery date back to 1871. A history of the cemetery is contained in a pamphlet entited "Spring Grove Cemetery: Information and rules and regulations, June 30, 1941.
- An online search by name is located on the town's website Spring Grove Cemetery search
- Temple Emanuel Cemetery
- Corbett and Mount Vernon Street
- United Lebanese Cemetery
- 250 Hampshire Street, Lawrence, MA 01841, 978-683-5416
- West Parish Cemetery
- Located at 129 Reservation Road.
- Graves in this cemetery date back to 1692 & 1751.
- Woodbridge Family Graveyard
- Behind 89 Jenkins Road
- Only 12 stones remain in this unused family graveyard.
- Originally the Samuel Jenkins family was buried there. They have all been reinterred at Spring Grove.
- The town adopted the cemetery at the 2002 town meeting.
- "Historic Undertaking: Repairing stones is grave matter," Andover Townsman, February 21, 2002, p.1.
- "Revolutionary War-era cemetery now town's," Andover Townsman, April 25, 2002.
- "Revolutionary War era cemetery is town's: Woodbridge Jenkins Cemetery," Andover Townsman, May 2, 2002, p. 22.
- "Finding roots in Andover," Eagle Tribune, January 11, 2009, p. 9.
- Andover Church and Cemetery Guide
- Guide to Cemeteries in Essex County Massachusetts R929.5 Gui (The information for Andover is in the Andover File -- Cemeteries.)
- The Andover Historical Society has a list of cemetery inventories for Christ Church, St. Augustine's, Phillips Academy Chapel, Spring Grove, West Parish cemeteries.
back to Main Page