From Andover Answers
(Difference between revisions)
|-|The story for the formation of the Cochran Wildlife Sanctuary can be found in [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=independent%20schoolmaster&ft=&l=5&d=1&f=&av= The Independent Schoolmaster], by Claude M. Fuess, page 155+ ( Andover Room R B FUESS, CL) |+|
the of Cochran, , ()
| || |
|-|Tom Cochran, a Phillips Academy graduate, was a benefactor to Phillips Academy and Andover. The idea for a wildlife sanctuary began when he and some colleagues decided that the Rabbit Pond on the Philips property would be a great stopping place for migratory birds. |+|
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 20:25, December 28, 2012
In 1921, with the guidance of NY architect Charles Adams Platt and landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, Thomas Cochran, a Phillips Academy graduate and benefactor, began a historic expansion and beautification program at the school. The idea for a wildlife (bird) sanctuary began when he and some colleagues decided that Rabbit Pond (on the campus) would be a great stopping place for migratory birds.
- "Part 1: Andover's enchanted forest created by Thomas Cochran," Andover Townsman, December 20, 2012, page 5.
- The Independent Schoolmaster, by Claude M. Fuess, page 155+. (Andover Room R B FUESS, CL)
--Eleanor 10:44, June 16, 2006 (EDT)
back to Main Page