Memorial Hall Library

From Andover Answers

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 10: Line 10:
* 1966 - the Reading Room was extended
* 1966 - the Reading Room was extended
* 1988 - ground breaking ceremony for completion of a rear wing that more than doubled the size of the library: the old section was 20,000 square feet in size; the addition was 30,000 square feet.
* 1988 - ground breaking ceremony for completion of a rear wing that more than doubled the size of the library: the old section was 20,000 square feet in size; the addition was 30,000 square feet.
-
*"Andover Memorial Hall Library to Mark its 75th Anniversary," ''Lawrence Evening Tribune'', May 19, 1948.
+
* 2013 - new patio completed with tables, chairs, and plantings
 +
 
Line 30: Line 31:
* Memorial Hall Library file in the Andover Room.
* Memorial Hall Library file in the Andover Room.
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=1273&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 198 and 199.
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=1273&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 198 and 199.
 +
*"Andover Memorial Hall Library to Mark its 75th Anniversary," ''Lawrence Evening Tribune'', May 19, 1948.
*"Town wants historic look back at library," ''Eagle Tribune'', July 15, 1993.
*"Town wants historic look back at library," ''Eagle Tribune'', July 15, 1993.
 +
*"Memorial Hall Library extends reach with new patio," ''Andover Townsman'', July 4, 2013, p. 1.
 +

Revision as of 15:24, July 8, 2013

In 1870 John Smith, owner of Smith and Dove Mill, offered to donate $25,000 to establish a public library providing the town raise an equal sum. The town was able to raise a substanial amount, but was short of the $25,000. They then added funds previously raised to construct a monument to the Civil War to reach the goal. A two story structure was built; the Library on the first floor and the Civil War Memorial on the second floor. At the dedication on May 30, 1873, the saying "Lest We Forget" in honor of Andover's Civil War Veterans was placed above the front door. The second floor Memorial and the saying have remained intact throughout the Library's history.


Additions to the original Library

  • 1926 - addition of a Children's Room
    • The plans for this addition were approved in 1925. The architects were Coolidge and Carlson.
    • MHL moved to lower Town Hall during the renovation.
  • 1961 - extension of the Children's Room
  • 1966 - the Reading Room was extended
  • 1988 - ground breaking ceremony for completion of a rear wing that more than doubled the size of the library: the old section was 20,000 square feet in size; the addition was 30,000 square feet.
  • 2013 - new patio completed with tables, chairs, and plantings



A Chronology of Memorial Hall library can be found on Chronology of Memorial Hall Library


Miriam Putnam, MHL library director from 1939 to 1967, wrote, "Civil War Memorial Expands to Meet Present Day Requirements." See below:

...Civil War Memorial Expands to Meet Present Day Requirements, p.1.... click to enlarge
...Civil War Memorial Expands to Meet Present Day Requirements, p.1.... click to enlarge
...Civil War Memorial Expands to Meet Present Day Requirements, p.2.... click to enlarge
...Civil War Memorial Expands to Meet Present Day Requirements, p.2.... click to enlarge
...Civil War Memorial Expands to Meet Present Day Requirements, p.3.... click to enlarge
...Civil War Memorial Expands to Meet Present Day Requirements, p.3.... click to enlarge


See



--Eleanor 20:52, December 28, 2006 (EST)

back to Main Page

Personal tools