Andover Historic Preservation


25 CENTRAL ST25 central st (click to enlarge)

25 CENTRAL ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

Style: Greek Revival, Ital. porch

Other features: small barn at rear; Italianate entrance porch and one-story polygonal bay. 2 entrances / one in back earlier; 6 fireplaces; hip roof

historical narrative

Present owner: Christ church

Original owner: Dr. Samuel Johnson

Subsequent uses: tenement house (1850 - 1860), then church guest house, administration offices from 1904.

Themes: Architectural, Commerce, Community development, Religion

Historical significance: Given to Christ Church Parish, 1901 by Gallishan. This, with rectory, burial ground, once described by Bishop William Lawrence as "probably the largest church property owned by any parish in Massachusetts"
"Glebe" is an ecclestical term from medieval times, meaning land belonging to or yielding revenue to a parish church. In the past, church rented out rooms to boarders for additional income. Also used as guest house for church visitors at conferences, etc. George Gallishan lived here; his second wife's sister, Mrs. M. W. Blodgett came here from Haverhill to keep house. He willed house estate to church and she remained several years as housekeeper. (1904). 1915 - it was home to Nellie Bliss.

Originally built by Dr. Samuel Johnson for use as store, because it was on old Post Road to Boston (old railroad passed almost through front yard as it crossed Central Street., oldest through-road in town - B. G.) Later he converted it into a 2 story tenement.
Charlotte H. Abbot says David Hall lived here. He was killed in explosion at powerhouse, during revolution.

bibliography/references

Building marker: 1997

Andover Historical Society files. Charloette? Helen Abbot

Andover Townsman; 21 Oct 1954, pg. 8

Carpenter, Rev. C. "Scrapbooks"

Charlotte Helen Abbot - "Historical Andover" vol. 4, pg. 90

Goldsmith, Bessie; "Townswoman's Andover", #79, 1964, pg. 82 & 104

Interview with rector: Rev. J. Edison Pike

Patterson, Frances W. "Walking Together From the Past Into the Future", an Historical Sketch of the Parish of Christ Church, Andover, 1833 - 1975

Building marker: 1997

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 25 CENTRAL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 25 central st
Historic Name: Johnson, Dr. Samuel House and Store. Also "Glebe house" or "Gallishan House"
Present Use: church offices, administrator
Original Use: residence and store
Date of Construction: 1825
Source: Bessie Goldsmith
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: Brick/stone
Wall/Trim: wood clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: front entry, probably added later (ca. 1845?)
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; lot size: 16,400 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: Central Street - 93', Brook Street - 131'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.107
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo