Andover Historic Preservation


29 CENTRAL ST29 central st (click to enlarge)

29 CENTRAL ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

Style: Romantic Classic

Other features: Exceptional detail

historical narrative

Present owner: Christ Church

Original owner: Abraham & John Martland had built to give to Christ Church

Themes: Architectural, Community development, Religion

Historical significance: In 1845, Abraham Marland, founder - director of Marland Manufacturing Co. and son John, built and gave the present Marland rectory plus land behind it to enlarge the burial ground.

Style resembles many of Marland Manufacturing Co. houses. They presumably hired one of their favorite architects -- Italianate / Greek trim on porch is typical.

Always used as rectory for Christ Church.

Until this was built, the Rose Cottage served Rev. Samuel Fuller as rectory, then also belonging to Marland family.

Abraham Marland, determined to see an Episcopal church in Andover in his time, is known as the "Father of Christ Church".

bibliography/references

Building marker: 1997

Andover Historical Society files.

Interview with present rector: Rev. J. Edison Pike

Patterson, Frances W. "Walking Together From the Past Into the Future", an Historical Sketch of the Parish of Christ Church, Andover, 1833 - 1975

"History of the Parish of Christ Church", from its Origin to the Present Time, June 1854, Andover, J. S. Flagg

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 29 CENTRAL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 29 central st
Historic Name: Marland Rectory - Christ Episcopal Church Rectory
Present Use: Episcopal rectory
Original Use: rectory
Date of Construction: 1845
Source: Patterson, Frances and Andover Historical files
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder: one hired by Abraham and John Marland
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards & flushboarding
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 3.1 acres
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.108
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo