Andover Historic Preservation


47 CENTRAL ST47 central st (click to enlarge)

47 CENTRAL ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

Style: Georgian

Other features: exceptionally fine corner pilasters; hip roof; brick piers

historical narrative

Present owner: McArdle, John & Nancy (12 Jun 1959)

Original owner: Samuel Abbot, retired Boston merchant
Subsequent uses: used by staff of Pres. Franklin Pierce as "summer White House" (1853 - 1857); see 48 Central Street

Themes: Architectural, Community development, Education

Historical significance: "April 9, 1776: Samuel Abbot, Boston importer, bought of Deacon Poor nine acres with Colonial dwelling house and barn", part of the homestead land of Joseph Abbot. Abbot retired from his Boston business when British took pocession of it. He was founder and benefactor of Andover Theological Seminary and supporter of South Church. Came here because his mother was a sister of Rev. Samuel Phillips and he was born in Andover, 1732. He married Sarah Kneeland, a widow and mother of John Kneeland, who became his step-father's legal representative. June 5, 1792, the frame was raised on his new house, built from a design of an English manor house, brought to him by Thomas Houghton, (later a partner of Samuel Phillips in paper manufacturing in Andover). Old buildings bought from Poor in 1776 were incorporated as the kitchen, barn, and woodshed in the new mansion house.. There were architectural similarities to Andover's Samaritan House and to houses of Timothy Flagg & Abraham Gould on South Main Street, as well as to their common influence, the Craigie - Longfellow House at Cambridge. By November 1793, Samuel Abbot, Esquire had moved in.
Abijah Fuller, a local carpenter, redrew plans for 7 shillings; carpenters were Thomas Osgood and Stephen Cummings.; masons were William Russ and Jonathan Fiske; Ezekiah Wardwell did interior, as well as exterior decoration. Two fireplace mantles from Paris. After Abbot's death, Rev. Mark Newman lived there. He was third principal of Phillips Academy and exchanged 210 South Main Street with trustees for this. 1848: Newman sold house to Prof. Simon Greenleaf, Dean of Harward Law School for $5,000. 1850: Greenleaf sold to Rev. Jeramiah Youngs, retired first treasurer of Pacific Mills, Lawrence for $7,750. 1852: sold to Samuel Lawrence, agent of Bay State Woolen. Large central window on South side of attic added then. Probably lattice work on roof at this time. 1859: Phillips trustees deeded to Elijah Upton of South Danvers for $8,000. 1871: Upton sold to Hiram French. Dr. Mary Harris, sister of seminary professor, had her office here in the 1880s (rear room, 1st floor on North side). 1888: widow Mary French, sold to George W. Coburn.
George Coburn was married to Helen, a daughter of John Smith of Smith and Dove. Coburn contracted architects Hartwell and Richardson of Boston, to make extensive alterations. It was thus, 1888 - 1889, that the large veranda on the North and Northwest was added, as well as the amp portico at the main entryway and the terrace at the East front. The kitchen, sheds, and barn from the original Poor structure at the site were removed and replaced with a new kitchen ell.

In 1905, Helen Smith Coburn willed the property to her nephew, George R. Smith, son of Joseph Smith. George Smith deeded it to his mother, Francis Sonald Smith in 1906 and it was known then as "Glenesk".

In 1927, she sold to Mitchell Johnson, who made minor renovations.

Other owners were: Hancock, Lucie and Lee, and in 1959, Dr. and Mrs. John McArdle, present owners bought the price.

47 Central Streeet, Carnaje house, now 8 South Lane
1884: attached barn
1906: carriage house
1926 atlas: carriage house

bibliography/references

Andover Historical files.

Bailey, Sarah L.: "Historical Sketches of Andover"; Boston, Houghton Mifflin, 1889, pg. 456 - 457

Baker Library, Harvard University: Documents on construction of house

Goldsmith Bessie: "Historical Houses of Andover, Mass." 1946

Jobe, Brock: "Samuel Abbot House of Andover, Mass."; architectural study for Boston University, 1975 at Andover Historical Society

Thomas, Milton H., editor: "Elias Boudinet's Journey to Boston in 1809", Priceton University, 1955, pg. 69

Woods, Rev. Leonard: "History of the Andover Theological Seminary", Boston, James Osgood, 1885

Sermon delivered May 3, 1812 at funeral of Samuel Abbot, Boston, Armstrong, 1812

Andover Preservation Award (June 1990)

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 47 CENTRAL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 47 central st
Historic Name: Abbot, Samuel - Newman, Rev. Mark House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1792 - 1793
Source: B. Goldsmith - Historical Houses
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder: Carpenters: Thomas Osgood, Stephen Cummings, Abijah Fuller; Decorator: Ezekiah Wardwell; Masons: William Russ, Jonathan Fisks
Foundation: stone
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: added attic window (1853) verandas added (1889) by Hartwell & Richardson
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; Lot size: 32,853 sq. ft.; Approx. frontage: Central Street - 174'; South Lane - 180'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.111
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo