Andover Historic Preservation


57 CENTRAL ST57 central st (click to enlarge)

57 CENTRAL ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

Style: Georgian

Other features: 2 fireplaces; house may be early - possibly first period - NB - roof pitch & asymmetrical fenestration.

historical narrative

Present owner: Wright, Charles & Cynthia (1971)

Original owner: (?) John Abbot (1648 - 1721)

Themes: Aboriginal, Agricultural;, Architectural, Community development, Exploration/settlement

Historical Significance: Built by son of George Abbot, probably John, a deputy to General Court. (John Lovejoy Abbot not its builder as his dates (1757 - 1837) too recent.) Original kitchen said to be "Oldest Room in Andover" - original pine panelling. Located on George Abbot grant. Between here and garrison house, Joseph Abbot was killed by Indians and another brother, 13 year old Timothy taken captive.
House has been restored several times, and probably moved more than once. John Abbot probably joined his farm to brother George (#59) during Revolutionary War. The two houses were separated again 1926 - 1927, during restorations by owner, Mary Byers Smith. She hired architect Eleanor Raymont to plan separation. Moved North to new foundation, attached to part of barn, which was converted into living room. Old beams, feather-edge pine panelling, H and L hand-wrought hinges were all perserved.

Mary Byers Smith sold 1945 to William T. Rich, Jr.

Barbara and J. Edson Andrews were owners in 1950s.

See alswo 57 & 59 Central Street, these buildings weave a tangled history together. ??? 1991

bibliography/references

June 1990 Andover Preservation Award

Dorman, Moses: "Map of Andover", 1830

Abbot, Abiel and Ephraim: Abbot Geneology

Goldsmith, Bessie: "Historic Homes of Andover, Mass.", 1946

Smith, Mary Byers: "Two Houses from One, The house of Mary Byers Smith in Andover, Mass.", House Beautiful; Sept. 1928, pg. 241 - 245, 310 - 312; Oct 1928, pg. 383 - 387

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 57 CENTRAL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 57 central st
Historic Name: John Lovejoy Abbot House
Present Use: residence
Original Use:
Date of Construction: 1678
Source: B. Goldsmith: Historical Houses of Andover
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder: 1926 changes: Eleanor Raymond
Foundation: Brick/stone (1946)
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: addition (1967)
Condition:
Moved: 1927, separated from 59 Central Street
Demolished:
Acreage: 1.84 acres; Approx. frontage: 100'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.114
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo