Andover Historic Preservation


149 ANDOVER ST149 andover st (click to enlarge)

149 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA LHD

Style: Queen Anne - Romanesque

Former Grammar School built in 1889. Converted to 9 Multy Family residences in 1981. 10 - 11units, 2 owner occupied. Dramatic hilltop setting

historical narrative

Change in street number from 147 to 149???

Original owner: - Town of Andover

Themes: Architectural, Community development, Education

Historical significance: Earliest building used for school in Ballardvale was on Lowell Road, now Clark Road. (May have been building Revolutionary patriot James Otis taught in, formerly on Osgood Farm and moved to Ballardvale to be used as first school)

Cornerstone laid 1889. During construction as before , classes held in Ballardvale Community Center.

Andover Townsman: "The rafters for the new school (Ballardvale) are in place. The view from the top of the chimney in magnificent, as it is far above any natural or artificial elevation in the village".

1894, school officially named for Josiah Putnam Bradlee, proprietor of Ballardvale Mills, Boston businessman and benefactor of Ballardvale; (gave his personal library for public circulation in 1878; founded community center etc.).

School turned over to Town of Andover, 1957 - 1958. Up for auction, Oct 1964. Future uncertain at present time , 1975)

note by Ruth Sharpe: Sold at Auction in 1981.

June 1990, Andover Preservation Award for Adaptive Reuse.

bibliography/references

Andover Historical society files - schools; also families - Bradlee, Josiah P obituary

Andover Townsman: Oct 15 1954; 3/14

Andover Townsman: Oct 15 1964; Mar 14 1946

Superintendent's Office: Andover School System

School reports 1753-293, 1983-91

Lawrence Eagle Tribune: Oct 22 1964

Book 758 pg. 52 (31 Dec 1951)

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 149 ANDOVER ST
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 149 andover st
Historic Name: Bradlee School
Present Use: Condominiums
Original Use: School house
Date of Construction: 1889
Source: Date on stone on building
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder: Merrill & Cutler Revival?
Foundation: brick/stone
Wall/Trim: brick
Roof: Originally Slate
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures car ports (19)
Major Alterations: Changed to 10 condominiums (Nov 1981) Carports (Nov 1981)
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 1 acre; Approx. frontage: 40'
Setting: Dramatic site on hill, about 300ft. From street
MHC inventory number: ANV.23
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford; Ruth Sharpe (Ballardvale Historic District)
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977; Feb 1998

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo