Andover Historic Preservation

164-168 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

This is the second Ballardvale Fire Station. The first was on the opposite side of Andover Street and closer to the center of the town. It was moved to this site and the town built an addition with a 67 foot hose tower in 1896. The tower was removed in the 1950s.

historical narrative

Town of Andover Ballardvale District Fire House. Built to house fire wagons and horses originally. Moved from original site on the opposite side of Andover Street where hose tower was added in 1896. The hose tower was used to dry the hoses after a fire.


Assessor's Office

Maps of Ballardvale

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 164-168 ANDOVER ST
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 164-168 andover st
Historic Name: Ballardvale Fire Department
Present Use: Fire House or Station
Original Use: Fire House
Date of Construction: circa 1890s
Source: Town reports
Style/Form: Other
Foundation: brickstone
Wall/Trim: clapboard
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: tower removed in the 1950s
Condition: good
Moved: moved from original site 1890s
Acreage: 1.2 acres; Acreage: 0.33 acres
Setting: Set on a site where three roads meet
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Ruth B. Sharpe (Ballardvale Historic District)
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: Feb 1998

other historic buildings

Andover Preservation Commission logo
Andover Historical Society logo
Memorial Hall Library logo