Andover Historic Preservation


183-187 ANDOVER ST183-187 andover st (click to enlarge)

183-187 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

Used as both business and residential, as many of the houses built in the 1850s were. Originally home and store; later 1930s home and Post Office. It has 8 rooms, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths; sometimes used as 2 family home. It has Dormer windows on 3rd floor; Bay windows on 2nd floor. Vinyl exterior; Asphalt roof, 2 chimneys. Sunroom added with entrance on Andover Street.

historical narrative

Originally the basement was a store run by Joseph Scott. Building was owned by Patrick Scott from about 1900. Building bought by Richard O'Brien in the 1930s and store was also used as a Post Office when Mr. O'Brien was appointed Ballardvale Post Master. Building is now (1998) owned by Veronica Croke and used as a rental. (Post Office and residential)

bibliography/references

Andover Directories

Essex County Registry, Lawrence

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 183-187 ANDOVER ST
Place:
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 183-187 andover st
Historic Name:
Present Use: Post Office and residence
Original Use: residence and store
Date of Construction: 1860
Source: Town of Andover Assessors
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: brickstone
Wall/Trim: wood, Vinyl
Roof: Asphalt gable
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures garage
Major Alterations: many changes from store to Post Office
Condition: good
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; Acreage: 0.24 acres
Setting: close to sidewalk and road
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Ruth A. Sharpe (Ballardvale Historic District)
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: Apr 1998

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo