Andover Historic Preservation


197 ANDOVER ST197 andover st (click to enlarge)

197 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA LHD

Other features: Door hoods on brackets appears to be somewhat later. Brick columns in frame, earth basement

This house built in 1848 by Hector Linn (Lynn) was of Greek Revival style. It has a large attic with 1 North window and 1 South window. The 2nd story has 2 large rooms, 2 small rooms, and one very small room (pantry). The space on the first floor was used for business. The 1st floor rooms had high ceilings and was rented as a store. It has a walk-in cellar with a dirt floor. Originally had a well in the cellar. Foundation has Granite slabs on three sides, and brick in the back. Off-center chimney of brick, typical of the houses built at that time. A 2 story addition made in 1898 when the drug store took over was removed in 1948. Porch added in 1963.

historical narrative

Owners:
Original Michael W. Mullaney
11 Oct 1937 Estate of Ralph Lincoln Sharpe
1990 Jane & Robert Henderson

Themes: Architectural, Community development

Original owner Hector Linn sold to John Morrison, who ran a store in 1861. Morrison's widow sold to Charles Shattuck, doctor and druggist, who ran a drug store in 1890. He sold to Converse Parker in 1912. He built a canoe house and rented canoes. His widow Winnie Parker sold to Michael Mullaney in 1935. Mr. Mullaney sold to Ralph Sharpe in 1937. Mrs. Sharpe is the present owner (1998).

A barn canoe house and an Ice house were built along the river bank.
A piazza, the length of the East side of the original house was added at the time the 2 story 5 room ell was added.

bibliography/references

June 1990 Award for Exterior Preservation

Book page 3505 - 8100, (24 Oct 1980)

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 197 ANDOVER ST
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 197 andover st
Historic Name: "Parker's on the Shawsheen"
Present Use: residence
Original Use: Store and residence
Date of Construction: circa 1848
Source: BU map; BV
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: 3 sides Granite, back brick
Wall/Trim: clapboards, wood
Roof: Asphalt
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: 5 room Ell and drug store front added (1898), removed in 1948. Porch added (1963) Entry porch in later (circa 1890 - 1900), removed 1983 Stained glass windows removed to rear
Condition: good to average
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; Acreage: 0.2911 acres; Lot size: 12,656 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 60'
Setting: slight rise from road, 15 feet back. Back boundary South-East Shawsheen River; West side, Boston and Maine Railroad.
MHC inventory number: ANV.32
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford; Ruth Sharpe (Ballardvale Historic Distric)
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977; Feb 1998

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo