Andover Historic Preservation


264 ANDOVER ST264 andover st (click to enlarge)

264 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

LHD
5 ft. headroom in basement; steam and auto burners heating

historical narrative

Original owner Robert E. & Frances Ewing
Themes: architectural & community development

Most of Ballardvale Village was built between 1843-1848 and a large part of it in 1847 - at the time the machine shop was built. During the first fifteen years of Ballardvale, when John Marland was manager of Ballardvale Mills, things continued lively and flourishing- then all the streets were laid out and about every building was erected that is here now. (Alfred Poore).

According to Charlotte Helen Abbott genealogy, Mr. Door, first clerk of BV Mills and brother-in-law to Mr. Marland, built this house as early as 1836; it was then occupied by John Farnham in 1857. BV Mills owned the house until 1926, then sold it to the Ewings.

bibliography/references

Goldsmith, Bessie: Townswoman's Andover: 1064, p. 96.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 264 ANDOVER ST
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Ballardvale Local Historic District
Address: 264 andover st
Historic Name:
Present Use: Residence
Original Use:
Date of Construction: 1845
Source: assessor's rec./style -njs
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof: gable
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures small barn
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 26,030; approx. frontage 82'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.43
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo