Andover Historic Preservation


265 ANDOVER ST265 andover st (click to enlarge)

265 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

LHD

historical narrative

Present owner: Butler, James & Winifred (a975-77)

Original owner: Andover & Wilmington R.R. (railroad depot); then post office; then residence.

This was the first railroad station of Wilmington & Andover Railroad. Probably moved here when Boston and Maine took over Andover & Wilmington R.R. for more direct service to Boston, after Lawrence founded.

John Clemons was station agent of Wilmington-Ballardvale line and lived here in Ballardvale Depot.

Building was cut in half and moved here. Later owners were Edward and Mura S. Ward, who sold to James and Winifred Butler 8/14/1947. Mary Campbell & Agnes Urquhart sold to the Wards Aug. 7, 1936.

Between 1898 and 1926 Patrick Larkin, a resident of Dorchester, owned this property which included 72 acres, a house, barn and stable. 487:399 Larkin to Walter Strout & Burt Worthing of Lawrence 1923, part of premises described in a deed of Jane Sharron dated March 19, 1883, book 176 pg. 85. Strout to Hall 1925. Haryward to Larkin. Shannon to Hayward 0325 land and bldgs.
Cartwright et al trustee to Shannon land and buildings 1867 719:286. Connected to Whipple File company 1865 683:94 Page et al assigns to Shannon.

Themes: architectual, communication and community development.

bibliography/references

Lawrence Eagle Tribune: Jan. 31, 1950 -- Dec.12, 1962

Inclusion: newspaper article

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 265 ANDOVER ST
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Ballardvale Local Historic District
Address: 265 andover st
Historic Name: Andover and Wilmington Railroad Depot
Present Use: residence
Original Use: 1st railroad station
Date of Construction: 1835
Source: style-njs
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: Brick/stone
Wall/Trim: Asbestos shingles
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved: 1850s
Demolished:
Acreage: 8,000 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 81'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.44
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo