Andover Historic Preservation


23 MAIN ST23 main st (click to enlarge)

23 MAIN ST

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA

Other features: attractive brick work, flat roof, drop stairs

historical narrative

Original owner: Andover National Bank

Themes: Architectural, Commerce, Community development

Historical significance:
Designed by Hartwell & Richardson of Boston, this building opened for business in Spring of 1890. The tenants at that time included both the Andover Savings Bank & The Andover National Bank on the first floor, the Merrimack Mutual Fire Insurance Co., an attorney and a dentist on the second floor, and St. Mathew's Masonic Lodge on the entire third floor.
Carpenters for the building were Hardy & Cole of Andover, and
the Darmon Safe & Iron Works Co. of Boston installed "one of the most secure bank vaults ever built".
First directors of the Andover National Bank included Amos Blanchard, cashier; Samuel Farrar, president; Moses Forster was cashier (1856-1895).
Interior features included woodwork of cherry and an "elaborate railing of braided brass" topping the counters; glazed tile fireplace.
Andover National Bank was founded 1 July 1826. First meeting of stockholders was held in Locke Tavern (111 Main Street). First building occupied until 1889. 1880's bought estate of Stephen Abbot adjoining at rear, old buildings and portions of land sold at auction. Architects aimed for "comfort and convenience".

bibliography/references

Andover Townsman, Dec. 20, 1889; May 9, 1890; May 16, 1890 pg.1

Andover Historical Society files

"A Historical Sketch Covering One Hundred Twenty Years of The Andover National Bank", 1826 - 1964.

Goldsmith , Bessie; "Townswoman's Andover"

____, ____; "Andover National Bank", Fair & Warmer, Oct 1928.

"Business History of Andover", 250th Anniversary Souvenier, 1896, pg. 23.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 23 MAIN ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 23 main st
Historic Name: Andover National Bank
Present Use: Merrimack Valley Nat'l Bank, now Bay Bank merrimack Valley
Original Use: Bank, commercial & office space, Masonic Lodge
Date of Construction: 1890
Source: Andover Townsman/ And. Hist. Society files
Style/Form: Romanesque Revival
Architect/Builder: Hartwell & Richardson; Hardy & Cole Carpenters
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: Brick
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: 1910 addition 2 buildings for extra space
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; lot size: 8080 sq ft; approx. frontage: 80'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.327
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford (cwo)
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: Aug 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo